New possible acquisition this morning species ID?

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Disclaimer though: I do have full permission to be there from rescue owner, in fact he's with me most of the time. Also the first one is not native to GA, pretty sure the second isn't either however waiting confirmation, if it is it will be released. I would never advocate to just go taking native turtles from the wild.
We know. I think that was aimed at new people and not you. Just so they know that you can't just do that.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Round 2, just got back from herping at the same turtle rescue and found this little guy in a small pond with adult Yellow bellys, Cumberlands, Red ears, and Cooters

@Markw84 Yellow belly?
Yes, that is a yellow-bellied slider. Trachemys scripta scripta However, to me it does look like it does have some intergrading with probably a Cumberland slider. T. s. troostii A "true" yellow bellied slider is noted for having an immaculate plastron except for perhaps a spot on the very front plastral scutes. To me, seeing the plastron makes me feel the history of this slider has some Cumberland influence somewhere in the past.

This is extremely common with our most common turtles now. Sliders, painted turtles and maps (G. pseudogeographic in particular) have so much introduced turtles into wild populations, and the pet trade is supplied by turtle farms where turtles are mixed and intergrading is common.

As far as you comment about native: Yellow-bellied sliders are native to Georgia as well as Cumberland sliders. Original ranges tend to have Yellow-bellied T s scripta on the more eastern side of the state and into Alabama, from N Florida up to N. Carolina. The Cumberland slider T s troosti covered the state of Georgia and from Florida to Virginia. Very common to see intergrades in quite large parts of Georgia, especially as you go east.

In Georgia, you can legally collect turtles except for listed protected species. Sliders are not a protected species.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think I'm going to release the one I got today. From every picture I've looked at he definitely has mostly yellow belly traits, and they're pretty common around here. He's a little bigger and quicker I think he will be alright. There's a park nearby with a lake I'm going to take him to shortly.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I think I'm going to release the one I got today. From every picture I've looked at he definitely has mostly yellow belly traits, and they're pretty common around here. He's a little bigger and quicker I think he will be alright. There's a park nearby with a lake I'm going to take him to shortly.
[emoji22] [emoji22] And he looks so adorable. But good on you.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It is definitely baby turtle season I took him to release him and managed to grab another baby turtle who was hanging out right where I was releasing this one. This location should be only native turtles, both of them were released into the lake.

Attachments

• 20180616_132509.jpg
    20180616_132509.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20180616_132527.jpg
    20180616_132527.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20180616_132910.jpg
    20180616_132910.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • 20180616_132920.jpg
    20180616_132920.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 20180616_132924.jpg
    20180616_132924.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 20180616_132939.jpg
    20180616_132939.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This is the second one I released.
@Markw84 Your going to have to start charging me for your ID skills :D
River Cooter?

Attachments

• 20180616_134058.jpg
    20180616_134058.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 20180616_134008.jpg
    20180616_134008.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20180616_133925.jpg
    20180616_133925.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 20180616_133935.jpg
    20180616_133935.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 20180616_134003.jpg
    20180616_134003.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20180616_134016.jpg
    20180616_134016.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
It is definitely baby turtle season I took him to release him and managed to grab another baby turtle who was hanging out right where I was releasing this one. This location should be only native turtles, both of them were released into the lake.
Bon voyage little one. May your travels be fun and safe.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I've caught and released many of this species here before. I never really got into learning what species they are till I joined this site, but I'm sure this guys native.
You have quite a task learning the 27 different species of Georgia! Only Alabama has more endemic species of turtles.

Yes, that is a river cooter - Pseudemys concinna concinna

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You have quite a task learning the 27 different species of Georgia! Only Alabama has more endemic species of turtles.

Yes, that is a river cooter - Pseudemys concinna concinna
Thanks Mark, I've been doing a lot of reading based off the UGA Herpetology site trying to learn more about identification myself. How are your Spotted Turtles producing this year?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I feel like I need to add a correction to this post for those in GA. The first little turtle I found "Snap" IS a species found native in GA. I was under the assumption that only Yellow Belly Sliders Trachemys Scripta Scripta were native sliders to GA. When in fact all 3 subspecies are found here Trachemys Scripta Scripta (Yellow belly) Trachemys Scripta Elegans (Red ear) and Trachemys Scripta Troostii (Cumberland) Though they are not a protected species, I do NOT advocate for taking them from the wild. The only reason I decided to keep "Snap" is I am sure he came from a collection of captives. That being said he is doing great, quite the eater! However he is proving to be a little odd lol. See video. This is his favorite spot, don't worry he's not stuck. He does this on his own?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I feel like I need to add a correction to this post for those in GA. The first little turtle I found "Snap" IS a species found native in GA. I was under the assumption that only Yellow Belly Sliders Trachemys Scripta Scripta were native sliders to GA. When in fact all 3 subspecies are found here Trachemys Scripta Scripta (Yellow belly) Trachemys Scripta Elegans (Red ear) and Trachemys Scripta Troostii (Cumberland) Though they are not a protected species, I do NOT advocate for taking them from the wild. The only reason I decided to keep "Snap" is I am sure he came from a collection of captives. That being said he is doing great, quite the eater! However he is proving to be a little odd lol. See video. This is his favorite spot, don't worry he's not stuck. He does this on his own?

Lol. Looked like he was really enjoying his back massage. Love watching the video's as you can see so much more. It almost makes you feel like you are right there.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

So CUTE!!!! [emoji7] He just enjoys a little massage!!!!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I am a little worried about my little buddy Snap. He acts perfectly fine, like a normal turtle. He doesn't float or swim funny, basks normally, and eats like a CHAMP! Also looks to have some growth lines in between scutes. However he is not gaining weight in fact he's lost a little. He weighed 13 grams when I got him. The next week I weighed him he weighed 12.8 grams. Today he's at 12.4 grams.

@Markw84
Should I be worried?