New possible acquisition this morning species ID?

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
I am a little worried about my little buddy Snap. He acts perfectly fine, like a normal turtle. He doesn't float or swim funny, basks normally, and eats like a CHAMP! Also looks to have some growth lines in between scutes. However he is not gaining weight in fact he's lost a little. He weighed 13 grams when I got him. The next week I weighed him he weighed 12.8 grams. Today he's at 12.4 grams.

@Markw84
Should I be worried?
Oh dear. Come on snap. Put on some weight.:( Could he have worms? I have no idea if worms would affect turtles and tortoises with weight gain or loss as it can sometimes affect humans. Just a thought. I would rather wait for Mark to answer you. Please keep us updated, as I like Snap quite a bit.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh dear. Come on snap. Put on some weight.:( Could he have worms? I have no idea if worms would affect turtles and tortoises with weight gain or loss as it can sometimes affect humans. Just a thought. I would rather wait for Mark to answer you. Please keep us updated, as I like Snap quite a bit.
It's kind of baffling he looks good and is acting perfectly normal, I dunno.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
With hatchlings, I watch most for the way they act. I like to see strong swimming and diving and a good "flight reflex" when I approach the tank. That will diminish within a few weeks and turn to frantic attempts to get close to you expecting food to be dropped in! The expansion of the growth seams is another key sign I look for. This, combined with good eating, is what I watch for to ensure they are about to begin good growth. Sounds like you are already keyed into the right things and your turtle is doing well.

As far as weight - It seems to me that young aquatics sometimes don't seem to gain a lot of weight immediately. Perhaps as they switch from yolk sac nutrition left in their system to actual gut metabolism. I wouldn't worry about the lack of weight gain in just a week or two. I feed live tubifex (bloodworms) as it seems the easiest to get them eating well. I try to get them taking reptomin BABY turtle pellets ASAP and that can take a week or so for them to see that as food.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
With hatchlings, I watch most for the way they act. I like to see strong swimming and diving and a good "flight reflex" when I approach the tank. That will diminish within a few weeks and turn to frantic attempts to get close to you expecting food to be dropped in! The expansion of the growth seams is another key sign I look for. This, combined with good eating, is what I watch for to ensure they are about to begin good growth. Sounds like you are already keyed into the right things and your turtle is doing well.

As far as weight - It seems to me that young aquatics sometimes don't seem to gain a lot of weight immediately. Perhaps as they switch from yolk sac nutrition left in their system to actual gut metabolism. I wouldn't worry about the lack of weight gain in just a week or two. I feed live tubifex (bloodworms) as it seems the easiest to get them eating well. I try to get them taking reptomin BABY turtle pellets ASAP and that can take a week or so for them to see that as food.
Awesome that makes me feel better. Reptomin baby turtle pellets is exactly what I've got him on and he eats them voraciously. He definitely took off quickly at the sight of me at first. He still cautious but has already realized I'm the "Food God" Thanks man!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Recently met a guy who runs a small turtle rescue here in my county. He has 4 small ponds on his property for different water turtles. He doesn't dig up eggs or do anything when he sees hatchlings, and the majority get eaten by critters he guesses. I went by this morning and found this little guy in his field. He's got a little damage to some scutes that kind of look like teeth marks. If he's native to GA I will consider releasing him. If not I can set him up in a 55 gallon.

@Markw84 What do you think he is

View attachment 241490 View attachment 241491 View attachment 241492 View attachment 241493 View attachment 241494 View attachment 241495 View attachment 241496
We have lots of those here.. I grew up on Lake in east Tx and Now I reside on a smaller lake still in east Tx. I don’t know their scientific name but they are a dime a dozen here. In all the pet stores really cheap. :-(

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Didn't really think about the fact that I feed the turtles in the evening, and I weighed him in the morning. I been giving him as much as he cares to eat, which is a lot! Tonight a little while after he ate he ways 13 grams again :rolleyes:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Snap update: Snap is getting big. Hes fearless and has turned into the tamest turtle I own. Hes quite the beggar when it comes to food!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Way to go Snap.
Well it's been awhile so I figured I'd do a Snap update. He's not a little guy anymore. He's a teenager now and discovered his man parts lol. Snap now lives with the bigger turtles. He turned out to be a lucky guy, all his pond mates are female:DIMG_20190901_182832127.jpg IMG_20190901_182816671.jpgIMG_20190812_193357553.jpg

Last edited:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Recently met a guy who runs a small turtle rescue here in my county. He has 4 small ponds on his property for different water turtles. He doesn't dig up eggs or do anything when he sees hatchlings, and the majority get eaten by critters he guesses. I went by this morning and found this little guy in his field. He's got a little damage to some scutes that kind of look like teeth marks. If he's native to GA I will consider releasing him. If not I can set him up in a 55 gallon.

@Markw84 What do you think he is

View attachment 241490 View attachment 241491 View attachment 241492 View attachment 241493 View attachment 241494 View attachment 241495 View attachment 241496
Oh how beautiful [emoji7]