New puppy, but how to introduce it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
So today we got a new puppy (a maltese chihuahua mix) and we already have a border collie. But our border Collie is very territorial and doesn't like other dogs. How do we introduce them? They are both female's. as you can tell by the breeds there is a big size difference. The boarder collie has always been a outside dog that comes in our house occasionally and the Maltese is going to be a inside dog. What do you all think? What are your different opinions? We heard to introduce them at the park because if our the Collie meets another dog AWAY from our house. She's fine :) So do we go to the park separately then introduce them at the park and then bring them back together? Tom, I know you train dogs professionally, help me out ;)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you going to tell me you got a new puppy and you didnt post pictures. I thought we raised you better than that

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
You are going to have problems.. especially with both being female... it might be ok as long as the puppy is young, but later, will be an issue.. Introduce very slowly.. and respect the dominant dog. but you really should consult a dog trainer/behavorist...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I would introduce them off the borders territory. Someplace they can release a lot of energy and a place you can walk home from. Then very calmly without any thoughts in your head of things going bad, walk them home together right into the house. They should be very tired before you return home with them. Walk both into the house and keep the leach on the border just incase you need to grab it quickly. Do not give the dogs any attention. Just observe. Do not have food down any place and have two separate water bowls in the same place but a few feet apart. Do not let the border stair down the new dog and do not let him try to herd the new pup.if you are calm and do not get nervous, things will probably go smoothly. I would do this a couple times a day for a week or two, or until the border pays zero attention to the other dog. Good luck. I don't have the kind of experience Tom does. However, I have trained, bred, showed, groomed, boarded and was a vet assistant. I also had 7 adults and two litters of 5 puppies each living in a small two bedroom home back in the day of my breeding years. Five females and two males, all unaltered. Oh, all those dogs also lived with a pot belly pig. I am no expert, but I do know a thing or two. Also, their is more then one way to train a dog. So if this one doesn't work. Move on to another suggestion. Good luck. I have never had to make any of my animals live apart from the rest. It can always be fixed. Just be consistent and calm. Good luck, let us know how it's going.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Ok! Thanks all! (Bigred, I didn't post pics because she just had surgery and she is VERY tired :()

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
Congrats on the new puppy! I love border collies!!!!!!!!!!! I would introduce them at the park it's better! Good luck! PLZ talk to me it said I was on your ignore list but we talked and you helped me out a lot I thought I found sort of a....... Friend :(

FionaS

5 Year Member
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
So today we got a new puppy (a maltese chihuahua mix) and we already have a border collie. But our border Collie is very territorial and doesn't like other dogs. How do we introduce them? They are both female's. as you can tell by the breeds there is a big size difference. The boarder collie has always been a outside dog that comes in our house occasionally and the Maltese is going to be a inside dog. What do you all think? What are your different opinions? We heard to introduce them at the park because if our the Collie meets another dog AWAY from our house. She's fine :) So do we go to the park separately then introduce them at the park and then bring them back together? Tom, I know you train dogs professionally, help me out ;)

Dogs normally allow younger dogs a "puppy license" and allow them to get away with anything. Halo my GSD even used to let Fly eat her food from between her legs! Just do it slowly and with lots of treats and love to them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.