New Rare Turtle Species

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Hey all. Just wanted to share some awesome footage of Steve's new Four-Eyed Turtle (Sacalia quadriocellata). This turtle has a lot of pep in its step, and you can spend a lot of time observing and admiring it if you're not careful. Here's the video :)

We've already received confirmation this turtle will be listed in the AZA Species Survival Plan.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What an interestingly shaped head. And the extra 'eyes' on the back of the head are spooky.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Awesome. Any plans of adding a female? Very cool species. One day I will venture into aquatics.
Yes, the plan is always to breed virtually everything we keep, as I'm sure you understand. We have a pretty good lead on some more, but we'll see. Aquatics are a pain to work with, but there are some amazing species, obviously.
What an interestingly shaped head. And the extra 'eyes' on the back of the head are spooky.
The eyes on the back of the head are amazing, but the head shape was what was most striking to me when I saw this species in person for the first time. It is so strange. Definitely unique.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yes, the plan is always to breed virtually everything we keep, as I'm sure you understand. We have a pretty good lead on some more, but we'll see. Aquatics are a pain to work with, but there are some amazing species, obviously.

The eyes on the back of the head are amazing, but the head shape was what was most striking to me when I saw this species in person for the first time. It is so strange. Definitely unique.
Fantastic. Gerard could help a lot I'm sure :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
He always does. We have an awesome team. Everyone brings something different to the table. I'm sure you can guess the things Gerard brings to the table for us, in addition to just being an extraordinary human being :)
Well yeah we talk quite a lot. Wish I had trust in enough people to assemble a team like the one your part of.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that is one really cool looking turtle. Not a bad eater either. Where are they from and are those eyes on the back of their heads for some kind of defense/deterrent?

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
What a beautiful turtle! You're so lucky to be able to work with them! :D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
WOW!!! You guys are doing wonderful work! What a cool looking turtle!:)

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Hey all. Just wanted to share some awesome footage of Steve's new Four-Eyed Turtle (Sacalia quadriocellata). This turtle has a lot of pep in its step, and you can spend a lot of time observing and admiring it if you're not careful. Here's the video :)

We've already received confirmation this turtle will be listed in the AZA Species Survival Plan.

Ah man I watched the video and asking myself which species??? I didn't see the "eyes" on the head...
Absolutely fantastic good work!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Really very interesting. Would love to know more about it like where its from.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I must agree with the head shape! It's so smooth. I love the extra eyes... what a neat turtle! Not sure I want to know how expensive it was :confused:

Turtlepete

South Florida
Awesome, love the four-eyeds. Really awesome that it will be listed in the SSP. Congrats :).

Yellow Turtle, there was a hatchling at the NRBE in Daytona last year, $450. Price isn't usually that bad, but they aren't all that common to find for sale. I actually think I've seen more bealei for sale then quads, come to think of it.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Awesome, love the four-eyeds. Really awesome that it will be listed in the SSP. Congrats :).

Yellow Turtle, there was a hatchling at the NRBE in Daytona last year, $450. Price isn't usually that bad, but they aren't all that common to find for sale. I actually think I've seen more bealei for sale then quads, come to think of it.
Hmm, that's not bad, as prices go! :)

Danou

Vientiane, Lao PDR.
FYI,Here is the sample of the male marking on the top of their head.
And female has yellow color spot on the head instead of this color.

Attachments

• IMG_6072.JPG
    IMG_6072.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6072.JPG
    IMG_6072.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
One of my all time favorite species! I had one around 1979-1980 that did quite well until he ingested some Chattahoochee stones, got impacted and died.
Four-eyed turtles have an almost otherworldly look to them.
Jim (Diego) Buskirk sent me a series of photos of these from China a couple of years ago...I'll see if I can dig them up