New red ear slider water turtle

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
Well searching for a box turtle I came across this little guy in Craigslist . My first water turtle and I read up on the care. He came with everything except a heater. I replaced the UVB bulb since I wasnt sure how old it was and purchased a dock for him since he did not fit on the one that came with him. I purchased Mazuri water turtle diet he was on All Living things turtle food. He has either pyramidingImageUploadedByTortForum1388340382.721376.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388340400.786133.jpg or scutes that did not shed I am not sure. I am hoping the experts can help there. He seems healthy eating active and full of personality. I am wondering why I have never got a turtle before he is so fun to watch and personal . Here are some pictures.ImageUploadedByTortForum1388340266.085095.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be sure to offer him a well-balanced diet of vegetation plus animal protein, and a UV light. He will eventually smooth out as the old scutes shed off.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I love Red Ears....they have a gigantic personality for sure...and they will always try to convince you that you forgot to feed them...every time you go by them they will act like they are starving :)D) once your tort is a bit stronger and adjusted to the new environment you will have to get a bit stronger in not falling for it...lol..

The turtle appears to have likely been affected by slight MBD (maybe a uva/uvb that became old)..but looks good overall and will likely become much happier/healthier in the new set up....keep the water warm about 78 and allow a basking spot that gets around 86-95 (a little higher here is alright especially since you are going to be getting him stronger)...they eat meat and greens (likely still very much appreciate meat as the size would indicate not too old) offering protein and calcium rich items would be what I would do for awhile along with the warm water and uv rays---good save.

From what I can see...you have a female :D

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Thanks for all the help! I guess I better change the name from Fred from former owner to ? Lol

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Lol I like Freda. I have been thinking about a name since I found out Fred is a girl . I think I am going to name her Gamera. Gamera is referred to as a he but growing up I always thought Gamera was a girl . I loved that giant turtle lol. She loves to stand on her tippy toes and stretch so her eyes stick out of the water to see me so with her pointy shell she reminds me Gamera.

She has so much personality and is curious about everything she is so much fun. I read you can change toys weekly like ping pong balls. I can totally see her having fun. She is entertaining. I never knew water turtles were so fun.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388414939.725114.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388415010.512618.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: