New Red Foot Mommy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Hello! I am a new Red Foot Mommy and could use all the help I can get. I had thought I had done my research before I had the little guy shipped, but every day I learn more and realize I don't know it all. I just want to keep the little guy healthy so he has a long, long life. The sites turtletary & redfoots.com have helped me get on the right path. I just wish I had been aware of these sites BEFORE we got our baby. His estimated age is 8-9 months. We have had him for 4+ mons. My latest crisis has been what I believe to be a shell fungus. (I've havent figured out how to attached pictures, but can email them to who ever can help or review.) I followed treatment from turtletary for a week now using betadine and 1% clotrimazole cream. I have stopped cleaning with betadine and just use the cream once a day now. He had the white crusty patches on his plastron ever since we got him but they are gone now since treatment. Vet said it was just evidence of where the egg yoke had been (?), but it started to spread and got increasing worse. Also, does anyone have experience or would recommend the Zoo Med Tortoise house? Would our RF be considered a hatchling or Juvenile?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Linda:

Congratulations on your new tortoise! and welcome to the forum!!

You'll find lots of good information here on the forum. There are several RF breeders here too, and you can visit the web sites shown in their signatures to get more info on how to take core of your new guy.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Thanks - I need all the help and advice I can get.

LindaF

5 Year Member
allegraf said:
Welcome to the forum, if it is fungus, your substrate may be too moist. What type of substrate and set up do you have? Another great source of info is https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/

Allegra

Allegra, I use Cypress Mulch and sphagnum moss. I did let it get too wet in his hide. I was so worried about dehydration in the TX heat I let it get too wet. I'll check out the site you recommended. Thanks

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Linda :)

Your Redfoot would be considered a juvenile now :)

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Linda, just so you know, nobody has ALL the answers. Everybody is in a constant state of learning and no two people, tortoises, or locations will need the same thing or have the same level of luck. I am so glad you are learning everything you can on your RF! Sounds like things are improving rapidly already. Welcome! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.