New red foot. More questions

J H

5 Year Member
My first question is about temp. Day time ambient temp in tank is 80ish with basking spot 95. Night temp is 80 on warm side and 70 cool side. Are these temps ok?

Next question is I made a humidifier out of one of the cool mist animal humidifiers from target and some tubing. It works great. I can keep humidity at any level I choose (80% right now) as long as I keep it running on medium/low output setting (tank is not visibly very foggy). Is it ok to do that? FYI my damp Cyprus mulch only kept it at 50-60% even with spraying (in MN with a/c on)

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, California
Temperatures seem right on and very similar to my set up. As long as your substrate is not getting too soaked then I think your misting method is good. And yes, just the subtrate alone (from my experience) will not keep humidity levels adequate. To combat this, I also taped aluminum foil to the screen top I have.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
An almost completely enclosed container would not require a humidifier. It would also be much easier to regulate heat. Redfoot don't need a basking spot. Just nice and warm temps of between 77-87 and at least 75% humidity. (And UVB)
I think this comes down to personal preference.
Ideally, think about an outdoor pen of some sort.