new red foot tort mom

tamstorts

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Dumb question - feeding Scarlett & Sonny bockchoy is it ok for them to eat the white parts of the stalk as well as the leafy greens??

daniellenc

Maryland
All parts are fine though my wee one seems to ignore the stems and stick to the leafs no matter how small I chop it.

tamstorts

Indiana
ok so it seems Sonny is doing ok with the steady 79 at night and 82 during the day, however Scarlett comes out more when I turn the additional heat lamp on for a couple hours during the day and warm the tank up above 85, I also notice that Sonny is really ok with this too. However I do not want to hurt his eyes at all so I was looking for opinions: an infrared light for 5-6 hours during the day???? Will this accomplish Scarlett's want for additional warmth without hurting Sonny's eye or would a CHE at 75 or 100 watt be better.... not really wanting to warm it up to 85+ 24 hours all the time . . . just trying to possibly recreate an outside affect where the temp is moderate in the morning, warmer in the after noon and moderate again in the evening before the lights go out on the over night. Thoughts?????

daniellenc

Maryland
I keep a CHE on 24 hours which produces no light and 10.0 UVB lights 12 hours a day which produces light but little to no heat. One end stays at 85 and the other 80 so he can pick. Infrared I have read is not optimal but I'm new myself.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Tamstorts... I was going to PM you yesterday to see how your little guys were doing, so happy to see they are well :)

How do you have your Che mounted?

I would recommend you find a way to adjust your heat using the CHE.

You could always add another bulb for the additional heat but remember that red food don't like bright lights so you may find them still hiding even though the temps got higher like they wanted. Also a stinger Che will raise night time temps too.

Here are the 2 thoughts that come to my mind. One means spending more money and one doesn't.

1. Find a way to slightly lower the Che during the day to bring the temps up. This shouldn't cost you any money but you'll need to remember to do it every day and be careful that you don't get it so close to them that you burn their shell.

2. Spend some cash on a new uvb bulb. We tell red foot owners that you don't need to offer a basking spot like you do for other species but some like to bask, I have one who loves it and it sounds like you have one that prefers it too. The make an MVB (mercury vapor bulb) who's a heat producing basking bulb that also produces uvb. It will give you light, basking temp and UVB all in one.

If you go that route you'll have to play with the height of the bulb to get the 84 or so degrees that you want furring the day. Be sure to use it with a $5 hardware store timer. Also this will not replace your Che. You will need your Che hooked up to a reptile thermostat set at 80 sonit can come on and off as needed at night.

I'm that set up the MVB would be day use only and the Che night use only

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Bock Choy is great for them and yes you can feed the stem but is not offer very much of it. The dark green part has the majority of the vitamins they need. Mine ignore the white part so don't be surprised if yours do to. However, I would limit the amount of stock you put in because in the off chance they really like it you don't want them filling up on something that doesn't have very much benefits for them. Mine love mushrooms, but mushrooms are more of a filler so I only offer as a treat.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Forgot about option 3....

anything from 80-88 as a constant temp is fine for them. As long as your keeping them hydrated there's absolutely nothing wrong with setting your night time temps to the day time temp you want. 80 is just the lowest we tell you to have a juvenile at. You can just raise your temps to like 86

tamstorts

Indiana
At what rate do the red foots grow? I've had mine now a month or a little better, I measured them & weighed them - they are doing good just didn't know at what age they should reach 4 inches 6 inches 8 etc?? Thanks (I got them at about 2-2 1/2 inches)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
That can range largely. Many factors will come into play like how the breeder started them, what you feed them, how you House them... it's really hard to say. Plus some just grow faster than others. If I remember right mine were about 4" at 1 year and about 6" at 2

daniellenc

Maryland
I've had mine a little over a month and he's 3 inches maybe a little more. I know the first 5 years they grow the most but no clue how fast. Mine has grown and poops daily so I don't weigh him but nothing like a sulcata for sure! The yearlings I've seen are still maybe 4-6 inches. I'd be interested for the experienced keepers to chime in but poop and eating are good signs.