New red foot tortoise owner

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Hello all this is my first post. Yesterday I got a new Red Foot Tortoise at a reptile show. I've been planning for him a few weeks and had a nice cozy indoor enclosure prepared. He is about 7ish inches. At the reptile show he was quite active in the tub they had him in, but since I've gotten him home he's not been. Kind of just sitting around not moving, and in his hide. I tried feeding him and he won't eat anything, except a few bites of banana. I know he's probably just getting used to his new surroundings and I haven't bothered him much so he can settle in. How long will it be till he gets used to his new home and starts acting like his normal self?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hello all this is my first post. Yesterday I got a new Red Foot Tortoise at a reptile show. I've been planning for him a few weeks and had a nice cozy indoor enclosure prepared. He is about 7ish inches. At the reptile show he was quite active in the tub they had him in, but since I've gotten him home he's not been. Kind of just sitting around not moving, and in his hide. I tried feeding him and he won't eat anything, except a few bites of banana. I know he's probably just getting used to his new surroundings and I haven't bothered him much so he can settle in. How long will it be till he gets used to his new home and starts acting like his normal self?
Hello and welcome!
It could take a few days to get relaxed. As long as your enclosure is properly set up he should perk up. I would take it easy on the banana, you don't want him to become obsessed with one food.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He's in a 6 ft by 2ft tub for the winter. He's got Uvb/Uva lighting and a ceramic heat emitter that keeps one side around 85, the other side about 75, and about 95 directly under it. I used cypress mulch for bedding with spaghnum moss patches everywhere. He also has a rock hide, which he's been spending almost all his timein since I got him yesterday morning

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
95 would cause stress. It's too hot.
Too bright lights would also cause stress.
But if everything is correct (we're here to help you get there) It's still normal for a RF or any other tortoise to be timid anytime it's surroundings change.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Its only 95 directly under the ceramic heat emitter, I suppose I could raise it higher. What temperature should his basking area be? I only have the one lamp that puts off light, it's a Reptisun 10.0

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No basking area is needed for your RF.
Try to get your whole enclosure between 81 and 86.
Also, in my opinion the 10.0 might be a bit much. I use 5.0.
No biggie. When it's time to replace the tube in 6 to 8 months, consider the 5.0.
They like it warm. Not hot. Not very bright and very humid.
(Think forest floor.)

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Welcome and congratulations! He should warm up in a few days :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Update: Its been 4days I've had "Murphy" and I've offered many different greens romaine, turnip greens, mustard greens, none of which he will touch. He however did eat some banana, mango, and pear,but I don't want to just offer him fruit. Should I just give him greens only until he eats them?

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
Update: Its been 4days I've had "Murphy" and I've offered many different greens romaine, turnip greens, mustard greens, none of which he will touch. He however did eat some banana, mango, and pear,but I don't want to just offer him fruit. Should I just give him greens only until he eats them?

I also am new but have had some very wise people help me out. how often are you feeding him? How often are you soaking him? My RF who is only 2-3 months old was not eating so well either. I was feeding him every day. I started feeding him a mix of a different green and a different fruit every other day so 2-3 times a week and he eats so much better now. Also soaking them helps keep them hydrated and makes my little one hungry :) So I will soak in 85 degree water up to his chin for about 30 min ( if he wants out before I let him out. If he is thirsty he will drink in the soak and lots of times they will use the bathroom while soaking as well) and them feed him. Also whats his set up look like? I found that I didn't have enough hiding spots or shade in mine. I am still working on it but I went and got some plastic plants and now my little one is setting in so much better and using his hide. Also these guys will hide for almost the first 3-4 years of there life. If there out walking around a lot before that age its usually do to stress. They also like to dig A LOT lol Keep up the good work seems like you are trying to do your best. There are many amazing people here to help you out :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
"Murphy" is about 6-7inches so he's not quite a baby, but I don't know how old exactly he is. I have been trying to feed him everyday in the morning. Maybe I'll try going to every other day. I've only had him since Saturday but I've given him a soak everyday for about 15minutes, he doesn't seem to like this. In fact he frantically tries to escape the water. I've only got one hide for him in his setup, I guess I'll try making another one for him

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
"Murphy" is about 6-7inches so he's not quite a baby, but I don't know how old exactly he is. I have been trying to feed him everyday in the morning. Maybe I'll try going to every other day. I've only had him since Saturday but I've given him a soak everyday for about 15minutes, he doesn't seem to like this. In fact he frantically tries to escape the water. I've only got one hide for him in his setup, I guess I'll try making another one for him

I have heard that some torts are like that when you put them into water maybe @Tom or @Anyfoot or even @Ernie Johnson can help more with this since its older then mine. They are the ones that have been helping me and its helped a lot

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
They will sulk for days could even be a couple of weeks. He's been dropped in s new environment and needs to get used to it. A tort can go weeks without eating, it's not panic stage yet.
Ambient of 80/86 throughout the enclosure, no bright basking spots and places to hide and feel secure. Keep putting down a mixture or greens and fruit, if he keeps picking off the fruit then change to greens only for a while until he eats it. He won't starve himself.
You need to make sure his ambient temp is good, that can only be achieved in a closed system unless your room is at 80f.
Aim for 80%+ humidity.
Some splash around when soaking and some don't. Make sure your water temp is not too hot or cold and have the depth just over the bridge(where plastron meets carapace). That size doesn't really need soaking every day either. Try every other day for now.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Update: I have raised the CHE so it's not so hot, his enclosure temps stay in the mid 80's. I have it open right now but I am going to build a top for it this weekend. He is still refusing to eat any greens at all. In fact he's now not eating anything for few days. He is staying in his hide 24/7. When I offer him food I take him out of his hide and put him by the food but he immediately crawls right back into his hide. I am going to pick up some Mazuri food today and see if he goes for that. I hope he's healthy and still just trying to get used to his new home.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Update on Murphy:
It's been 2 months now and Murphy has settled in nicely. He's eating greens and fruit with no problems now. He spends most of his time in his hide but he comes out when he hears me in the room (because he thinks I have food). He even comes out of his hide it to me when I call him now! I'm currently building him an outdoor enclosure in my backyard as winter is almost over here in GA. I'm so glad I got him, I really enjoy him!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Update on Murphy:
It's been 2 months now and Murphy has settled in nicely. He's eating greens and fruit with no problems now. He spends most of his time in his hide but he comes out when he hears me in the room (because he thinks I have food). He even comes out of his hide it to me when I call him now! I'm currently building him an outdoor enclosure in my backyard as winter is almost over here in GA. I'm so glad I got him, I really enjoy him!
That's better news than your last post.
They really are creatures of habit. When something changes they go into their shell

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Murphy is doing great, and really come out of his shell, literally!

Oh how cute!!! Murphy is a very pretty tort! Once again, belated WELCOME from Texas:) He seems to like fruit. How about mushrooms and meats? One of mine (Shellie) also prefers fruit, but the other one (Tucker) looooooves his meat! His favorite is cooked shrimp

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks! He loves fruit but I have to use it sparingly. If I give him fruit 2 days in a row he will then refuse greens. Fruit is about 3 times a week.He likes mushrooms too. He's not big on protein. Won't touch meat or cat food. All I been able to get him to eat for protein is earthworms, and he loves em. So I'm open to some suggestions there. I'm still learning his likes and dislikes. He really seems to enjoy the few times its been warm enough for him to go outside and explore too. So I'm really looking forward to a few weeks from now when it's warm enough for him to spend his days outside.