New red foot tortoise owner

Davebolt

Location (City and/or State)
London
I have some questions and tbh not to sure what to do IV been told there 4 years old (I have 2 ) in the same viv is this ok ... How big should it be .. how much should I feed them and what sort of foods ... Do they need to be in the viv 24/7 ... That's just a hand full of questions I have

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@ZEROPILOT can help, however tortoises should not be kept in pairs. Welcome to the forum.

Davebolt

London
Thanks for your reply. I got them off a friend and they had them for 18 months or so and was told 1 female and 1 male .. would that be ok and also would it not be upsetting to separate them now .. ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome. No two tortoises should ever be kept together. Male or female or a combination of both. However groups can work. It evens out the bullying behavior, etc and keeps it from being focused on just one individual.
But to do this, you will need a very large enclosure. So large that attempting to create one indoors is almost unfeasible.
Bullying is often subtle. Following each other and sleeping together look to us mammals as signs of efffection. Not so for solitary tortoises.
Each Redfoot that size needs an enclosure of at least 4' x 6'. And that will need to be increased soon as they grow. This gets tricky because they also require high humidity 24/7 and that is difficult if not impossible to achieve with an open topped enclosure.
They require humidity of over 70% day and night. Temperatures of between 80f and 86f day and night and a diet of fruit, mushrooms, green leafy matter, flowers, cactus, animal protein vegetable matter.
These two look outwardly pretty good. With moderate pyramiding caused by inadequate humidity in the past.
It's probably to early to determine the sex at this size

Davebolt

London
Hello and welcome. No two tortoises should ever be kept together. Male or female or a combination of both. However groups can work. It evens out the bullying behavior, etc and keeps it from being focused on just one individual.
But to do this, you will need a very large enclosure. So large that attempting to create one indoors is almost unfeasible.
Bullying is often subtle. Following each other and sleeping together look to us mammals as signs of efffection. Not so for solitary tortoises.
Each Redfoot that size needs an enclosure of at least 4' x 6'. And that will need to be increased soon as they grow. This gets tricky because they also require high humidity 24/7 and that is difficult if not impossible to achieve with an open topped enclosure.
They require humidity of over 70% day and night. Temperatures of between 80f and 86f day and night and a diet of fruit, mushrooms, green leafy matter, flowers, cactus, animal protein vegetable matter.
These two look outwardly pretty good. With moderate pyramiding caused by inadequate humidity in the past.
It's probably to early to determine the sex at this size
Hiya mate thanks for your reply.. you have mentioned so much I feel abit stupid ... I live in the UK ... When I got them I was told the was around 4 years old and was brother and sister and have always been together .,. I there viv the temp stays between 30/35 c ... And humidity is 50/60 in the day and at night when light and heat lamp is off it goes up to 70 /75 .... IV been feeding them mushrooms blueberries tomatos lettuce cucumber ect and once a week I give them a mouse each .. I have so much to ask and learn I think

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ask away.
35°c is an uncomfortably high temperature for a RF and the humidity needs to be above 70% night and day.
Can you provide photos of the enclosure. Lighting, etc?
It would help us help you with getting things more suitable for them.
And they need to be separated.