New Red Footed mommy

Teresa & Tortie

5 Year Member
Hi everyone my name is Teresa. I have wanted a tortoise forever. 2 of my children bought me a beautiful little 3 month old red foot at the end of October. I am in love. Lol My only trouble is she is a picky eater. She eats and drinks but chooses what she eats. Greens are one she avoids now. I do soak her daily. My substrate is soil and peat moss which I mist daily. One part of enclosure is warmer than the other. Hot side high 80. Cooler side low 70. Night is 70. I have a laser thermometer. Humidity is varied 50 to 70. But with soaking daily. I have a hibiscus plant in her enclosure. She has eaten a couple of leaves. I got pellets from my breeder. I can not remember the name of them. Torte loves them. I only give that once a week and only if I didn't give egg or other protein instead. She eats a variety of fruits some veggies. She is offered a variety of things. I would love to see her eat the greens better. She doesn't seem stressed. I put her in a container for soaking and when I talk to her she comes by me looking at me. She does drink and goes to washroom in the water. Oh she has 2 places to get out of sight. Lighting I have a uvb fluorescent and a halogen heat bulb. I will post picture of Tortie and enclosure soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Chop the greens up small and Smear some of her fave food all over them. She will think she's eating her fave. As she gets used to this, add more greens and less of the fave food. Gotta trick them sometimes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh and she needs a basking spot of 95-100. Not all feedlots like to bask but they need to warm up over 85 to properly digest their food. I would also up the low temp and humidity.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Redfoots don't really need a basking spot - they do fine in an enclosure 80-86F. The big problem you have right now is your lows. Low 70s is too low for a hatchling redfoot - you should have your low, day and night, at 80F. You will run into issues quickly keeping your hatchling too cold.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Teresa, and welcome to the forum!

I +1 what Sarah has told you.

Also, buy some Gerber strained fruit, the more exotic flavors are best. Chop up the greens into bite-sized pieces then put a tablespoon or so of baby food and mix it up so all the greens are coated. If that doesn't work, then chop up the greens into bite-sized pieces and put a little bit of canned cat food with them and mix it up until all the greens are coated. If that works YIPPEE! Then over a month or so, you can gradually decrease the amount of cat food until you're not adding any.

Oh, by the way, what greens are you offering?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Teresa, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Tortie.