My Redfoot Darwin

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
I spent a nice half hour writing with Darwin this afternoon while he soaked and ate his lunch ...

View attachment 253694

I was surprised by how much he loves kale ... I don't.

View attachment 253695

He also went to town on blueberries and strawberries and banana ....

View attachment 253696

But perhaps his favorite is avocado.

He seems comfortable and thriving in his home, as I get better at maintaining the temperature and humidity he needs.

Jamie

All parts of avocados are considered toxic to reptiles:
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=703&c=8

Some people have fed avocado fruit to their tortoises in small amounts with no adverse effects. As a precaution I suggest not feeding avocado at all. It's not a cheap fruit nor is it really beneficially to continue feeding it to your tortoise. Save them for yourself.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I've done a fair amount of reading about avocados as a part of a tortoise's diet, and opinions are mixed beyond leaves, skin, and pit ... since I'm just feeding him the fruit, I'm not too worried.

That being said, there are plenty of other great foods for him to eat, so it'll probably just find its way into his bowl occasionally.

Thanks for your replies and comments, and concern.

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I feed my Redfoot avocado from time to time with no ill effects.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Lots of people do ... there's a lot of anecdotal stuff passed back and forth as fact here, as there is everywhere on the internet.

Jamie

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Its the opposite at my house tonight for dinner my Redfoot had a gourmet salad with chopped kale, dandelion, mushroom, papaya squash, Mazuri, and mango. I had Ramen noodles :rolleyes:

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
My redfoot doesn't eat avocado either (just to stay on the safe side) he did get some shrimp today though for his monthly protien and chose to eat it over banana! I've had him for a month now and he has refused protien multiple times. (Ive tried mushroom, crickets, and boiled egg with no luck) usually bananas are treats for him so i was surprised to see he chose the shrimp first!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My redfoot doesn't eat avocado either (just to stay on the safe side) he did get some shrimp today though for his monthly protien and chose to eat it over banana! I've had him for a month now and he has refused protien multiple times. (Ive tried mushroom, crickets, and boiled egg with no luck) usually bananas are treats for him so i was surprised to see he chose the shrimp first!
Try an earthworm mine loves em.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
It didn't occur to me to weigh Darwin when he came to live with me two weeks ago, but as of today he weighs 73 grams.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Half-assed growth chart ...

IMG_7068.jpg

With a fourth data point, it occurred to me to try and graph Darwin's growth ... he's putting on weight steadily, advancing towards my first goal of 100g in a straight line.

Now I'm wondering if he should be growing faster.

The chart refers to days living with me ... his age is roughly 110 days.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I finally got hold of some Mizuri Tortoise diet (the nuggets about the size of the end of my pinkie-finger), and wet some down for Darwin ... he went nuts for the stuff.

I think I'll probably mix a single nugget in with his regular daily feed and see how that works.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
97g

IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

IMG_7112.jpg

He had a nice brunch today of houseplant trimmings, mazuri, and some of the freeze-dried fruit and omnivore mixes.

Two huge poops during his soak and brunch.

Jamie