New Redfoot Mama :)

Cj001

Location (City and/or State)
New England
Hello everyone!

My name is Carly and my husband and I just brought home a new Redfoot hatchling a few days ago (he's a little shy of 2 1/2 inches that's still considered a hatchling right?). I'm not a newbie to tortoises and their care but I'm also no expert so I decided to join your lovely forum to ask questions, seek advice, and geek out a little about these wonderful little (and not so little) reptiles ;) I've already done quite a bit of snooping around and I'm very excited to be a part of such a knowledgable community!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello everyone!

My name is Carly and my husband and I just brought home a new Redfoot hatchling a few days ago (he's a little shy of 2 1/2 inches that's still considered a hatchling right?). I'm not a newbie to tortoises and their care but I'm also no expert so I decided to join your lovely forum to ask questions, seek advice, and geek out a little about these wonderful little (and not so little) reptiles ;) I've already done quite a bit of snooping around and I'm very excited to be a part of such a knowledgable community!
Hi Carly , you've come to the right place for inspiration and information. There's a good caresheet for Redfoots and the Enclosures and Beginners Mistakes threads are also useful. So read search and ask as many questions as you need.
Doe he have a name yet? We all love to see pics too when you have chance to post some, but welcome to you all.

Cj001

New England
His name is Jethro :) or her name... obviously too early to tell lol. Thank you I'll definitely check out those threads. I've done quite a bit of research already (not one to bring an animal home without a solid idea of what I'm doing) but I definitely want to soak up as much knowledge as I can and give him the healthiest, happiest life we can ^_^
IMG_1648.JPG

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Carly, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Jethro.
Lots of useful info here and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, however trivial they may seem.
Lots of experienced Redfoot keepers here who are only too willing to help.
I put food on a little piece of rough slate or tile.
This prevents ingestion of the substrate and helps to keep the beak trimmed.
Enjoy the forum.

Cj001

New England
Hi, Carly, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Jethro.
Lots of useful info here and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, however trivial they may seem.
Lots of experienced Redfoot keepers here who are only too willing to help.
I put food on a little piece of rough slate or tile.
This prevents ingestion of the substrate and helps to keep the beak trimmed.
Enjoy the forum.

Thanks! I've been using a little teacup saucer for him (removed it for the photo) but I like the slate idea I've heard of putting slate in to help keep nails trimmed but I hadn't heard of it being used for beak purposes too. And it'll look a little more natural than a teacup saucer :p

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks! I've been using a little teacup saucer for him (removed it for the photo) but I like the slate idea I've heard of putting slate in to help keep nails trimmed but I hadn't heard of it being used for beak purposes too. And it'll look a little more natural than a teacup saucer :p
Just a tad!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Carly!

It's shown in a sort of out of the way place on the first page of the Forum way down in the right-hand bottom corner, So I think lots of people may miss seeing it - there's a nice compilation of RF information at the Tortoise Library