New Redfoot Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

teri

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, I am a new Redfoot owner. We got a little 2 yo Redfoot at the Turtlerama in Sacramento last weekend. She (or he) is soooo sweet. I am in love. I am having difficulty finding an Active UV bulb in Sacramento. If anyone knows where I can get one, I would appreciate it. I am keeping her outside as much as possible during the day, but I worry about her calcium. Also looking for a local source of Cypress mulch. Apparently it's not environmentally friendly. I hate the alfalfa pellets we currently have. They smell like a barn! Would like to know if anyone has some other bedding suggestions. I look forward to talking with other Redfoot people.[/font]

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
teri, you're gonna want to read up on specific caresheets for redfoots but i'd dust your torts veggies with calcium powder once a week or so. as for the bulb, you should be able to find a UVB bulb at any decent petstore that sells reptiles. i think theres a lightbulb thread under "tortoise products". theres also a new substrate thread floatin around somewhere :)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Well welcome to TF. I don't currently have redfoots but I do have my eye on a few. May after I go to the reptile show coming up. Anyhow I have a few suggestions, lighting mega ray bulbs are great it is a basking bulb and a uvb bulb, they have a website for ordering. They are a little pricey but you only need one bulb and everyone I have talked to about them says thier torts are more active with these bulbs. There is another bulb that is a 10% uvb bulb and you can get those for $ 20.00 or so. If you want the $ 20.00 bulbs you can go on petco website and buy some. As long as she goes out side for 30 mins to an hour 3to 4 times a week you are fine. For calcium you can purchase reptical calcium supplement and sprinkle a little on the greens twice a week. Substrate should be sand/top soil/ bed a beast mix. You can also purchase bed a beast online. When I went to check about calsium I found this site that will be helpful to you I'm sure http://www.kingsnake.com/rockymountain/RMHPages/RMHredfoot.htm Although they said you could give a little spinach every once in a while, I would avoid spinach all together.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For the calcium I keep a cuttlebone in the pen. Also dust with a variety of items from Carolina Pet Supply. I like using a variety to cover all the possibilities...lol.

When not outside mine are on a combo of the bed-a-beast/sand and then some of the reptile bark stuff. Works well to keep the humidity up during the dry winter here.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
http://www.redfoottortoise.com

high humidity is key. You can feed dandilions and plantain 2 weeds we all got in our yards, unless you kill them all.:p Just make sure its all pestiside and herbiside free. Both those weeds are GREAT for calcium.

B

Bansh88

If she's getting plenty of sunshine, Don't bother with a UV light.
Maybe get on efor this winter when the temps drop and you might be housing her inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.