New Redfoot (Speckles)- need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract, UK
I have just bought a redfoot and i am using a vivarium. I have bought a CHE for it and am using a flourescent bulb that came with the vivarium. I am using forest bark for the substrate and moss in the hide. The vivarium is an old vivarium that my mum got when she got Shelby. We sterilised the viv before we put Speckles in. I have looked at the care sheet link on this site and it says that redfoots do not need a basking area. Is this true? Do i need to buy any different bulbs to put in the viv like a mercury bulb, or am i ok with the ones that are in now? Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kerry:

I'm sure you're going to really love your new RF tortoise. There's plenty of info here on the forum about them and quite a few of our members have them. Congrats on the new tortoise, and send us some pictures!!

(I don't keep RF's so I can't help you with your questions)

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Pontefract, UK
thanks. we rescued her. Her shell is lovely and her eyes are fine, but her head was dry and the substrate he had her on was dry wood chippings which wasnt keeping the moisture. we only went into the shop to have a look and ended up buying her. ive been looking at tortoises for a few days, so was very happy when i bought her. so now we have two tortoises in the house lol, a Hermanns which is my mums and a RF. I will take some pictures soon and post them for everyone.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Kerry where did you find the caresheet for redfoot tortoises on this forum?

This one in my signature will help.. read it from start to finish - http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

I've never used anything other than a flor. bulb either. Keep the AMBIENT temps as close to the same as possible thru-out and he will be fine. Put the light on one end and the CHE over the hide at the other end. The 'hide' HALF of the viv should be dark/without light!

Of course you will have separate enclosures for each.. your redfoot and your mums Hermanns! [ not to insult your intelligence ]

Yes.. let's see pics!

Terry K

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Pontefract, UK
Redfoot NERD said:
Kerry where did you find the caresheet for redfoot tortoises on this forum?

This one in my signature will help.. read it from start to finish - http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

I've never used anything other than a flor. bulb either. Keep the AMBIENT temps as close to the same as possible thru-out and he will be fine. Put the light on one end and the CHE over the hide at the other end. The 'hide' HALF of the viv should be dark/without light!

Of course you will have separate enclosures for each.. your redfoot and your mums Hermanns! [ not to insult your intelligence ]

Yes.. let's see pics!

Terry K

Thanks terry, thats what i was wondering about with the bulbs. She is in a temporary viv until i get something better. I'm now going to look for a bigger home for her. The viv she is in at the minute is just bit longer than the one she was in in the shop. Her shell seems perfect and she has got bright eyes. The only problem was that her head seemed a bit dry as they werent keeping her on the right substrate and was only spraying her once a day, so I gave her a good soak when we got her home. We know that Shelby and Speckles can never come into contact with each other, as they live in totally different environments. Will take some pics soon. the care sheet i used was the one in your signature.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
well Kez as not been on the Forum long and thats it she as got a RF, We only went in to have a look lol, but the poor thing was so dry, She had a soak and did not try to get out. She as found the water in her Viv and is sat in there drinking Shelby never stays in the water this long I know she can get out ok as she as been out earlier this is her second visit. She as not eaten yet but i told Kez it could be a few days before that happens at least she is drinking, She never had water in the shop so she seem to be lapin it up. How cool can the Viv get on a Night?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
How old is she? How many inches is she? I always have a basking spot for Dale, Ruby and Eddie, it stays at around 85 degrees and that's usually where they stay. She should start eating soon though, when she is comfortable with her environment. Did you put plants in the viv or not? She should like those if you did. Congratulations on getting her and can't wait to see pictures of you new little one. :) As for the question about the temps. at night...for Dale (he's around 5 or 6 years old) I always have his hide at around 85, but sometimes he goes to the cool side that's around 70, for the babies Ruby and Eddie they pretty much always stay under the heat emitter that's 85 degrees. Very seldom will they roam out and stay on the cool side. :)

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Pontefract, UK
We think she's around 1 year old, but we don't know when she hatched. She is just short of 3", but that is just a rough guide, my mum didn't want to stress her out too much

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Pontefract, UK
30ndfo9.jpg

4nc6t.jpg

will get better pictures when she is more settled :)

LindaF

5 Year Member
Pretty baby! My little guy when he was about 7 mons old he was 3 in.

Status
Not open for further replies.