new redfoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pesky Fly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Moon
We are getting a red foot on Monday here is a pic of his baby cage. I will get a bigger cage as soon as my dad comes home from Iraq in October!! Will this cage work for him??? The plants are LIVE plants, and they are non-toxic. He will be 3". I am getting him from "The Turtle Source" and he is going to be here Monday OR Tuesday. My dad has allready named "it" Fred if it is a boy....if anyone has any girl names that they like TELL ME!!! Oh, I have not really said Hi on this site yet...so...."HELLO FROM KENTUCKY".
"I am an animal LOVER-not a fighter" I have 14 rabbits, a TWH horse, a dog, and 2 frogs. I have had some reptiles and loved them. I just sold my Savannah monitor after 3 1/2 months of lovin on her and she still tried to take a chunk out of me!!! Can you say "RUDE"!! LOL
We have had turtles but did not like the haing to feed fish part. So we are going to get a tortoise. YEA!!!!

What do you think of the cage??
2705488068_588dec99ed.jpg

And another pic.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/2704661413_948046cf5c.jpg

Thanks,
Pesky

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
RE: NEW RED FOOT!!!

Glass tanks are hard to adjust micro climates in. And he will need a hide. Redfoots like it darker and they need high humidity. So I hope the substrate is spargham moss or something that will retain moisture.
I would read www.turtletary.com and www.Redfoots.com there is some great information and enclosure suggestions Great pictures to help you along and show you what he started with and what they grew up looking like.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin

That's gorgeous! I don't know what tank size that is, but for a small RF that's probably fine!

You know, I used to be on the "tanks don't have the climate varience" boat with everyone... then I got into bearded dragons, and typically younger dragons are kept in tanks. I have my young ones in tanks, with a basking on one side of 110, and the cool side between 82 - 85.

Your RF won't need temps THAT extreme, so I honestly think it's okay.

With that said, tho, as the RF gets larger, you're going to need something other than a tank because it'll need a MUCH larger enclosure, and buying a tank that big would cost a fortune!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Pesky: Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to find out about your new redfoot. We have a couple of the best keeper/breeders here on the list.

Your terrarium looks great, and I'm sure it is a very pleasing piece of furniture to have in your house, however, I'm not a big proponent of keeping a tortoise in a glass enclosure. Some tortoises have a hard time realizing that their see-through wall can't be walked through also.

Your baby will be scared when you first bring it home, and will stay hidden all the time. This is normal. The more secure you can make his habitat feel, the sooner he'll come out and be a part of the family. Lots of hiding places helps with this.

Good luck with your new baby (Fred? oh well, would always be changed to Fredricka! LOL) Send us some pictures when you get him.

Check out www.turtletary.com/

Yvonne

Pesky Fly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The Moon

Thanks everyone!!! What can I use as hides that dont require much room? (As it's a pain in the butt to move the plants, some have taken root allready). My dad is comming home from Iraq in October for a 40 day vacation and he has said he will build Fred a Turtle Table. LOL "Fredricka"....Fred is short for "Fredenstine". LOL

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Keeping with the theme look you having going, a very natural look would be one of the half log hides from a pet store. Not sure how humid your tank is, but you might want to consider adding some moisture holding substrate in the hide.

While your reading Redfoot sites, also take the time to read:

http://redfoottortoise.com

Status
Not open for further replies.