New Rescue in North Carolina

emnboysmom

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hello,

I walked out my front door this morning to find a little guy on my front sidewalk. I contacted my state wildlife office and sent them these pics of him. I suspected he was a tortoise; I grew up in the Mojave Desert in Southern California in the 70's, and we saw desert tortoises all the time.

They got back with me to let me know that he was indeed a tortoise of some kind and not a box turtle, and I should not release him into the wild. They told me I could keep him or try to re-home him.

I need to know what kind of tortoise he is to know what he needs. He is very friendly, and has gobbled up romaine lettuce and grass today. I have him in a clear rubbermaid tote right now with a substrate of mixed sand/coconut coir and orchid bark over the top. I've got a clay plant saucer with water for him.

He looks like a gopher tortoise or a desert tortoise (he seems darker than the desert tortoises I remember).

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give. I took top, bottom and front views:20170802_130301.jpg 20170802_131836.jpg 20170802_132218.jpg

Thanks in advance!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is a Russian and possibly someone's lost pet. They are great escape artist. The first thing they should have told you was to try to find the rightful owners. Post posters in your neighborhood, call local vets and shelters and post a lost and found on your local Craigslist. My Russian got out twice and luckily the people that found him were nice enough to return him to me. Please try to do the same before just keeping someone's lost pet.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks for saving him and good luck trying to find his owners who are probably very distressed right now.

emnboysmom

North Carolina
It is a Russian and possibly someone's lost pet. They are great escape artist. The first thing they should have told you was to try to find the rightful owners. Post posters in your neighborhood, call local vets and shelters and post a lost and found on your local Craigslist. My Russian got out twice and luckily the people that found him were nice enough to return him to me. Please try to do the same before just keeping someone's lost pet.
Thanks! We will do that first. We live in a military community with a high PCS (move) rate and pet dumping is unfortunately common.

emnboysmom

North Carolina
In the meantime, what are the basics he needs for us to keep him healthy while we look for his family?