New "Rescue" Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
A few weeks back I came across an ad on my local CL for two Russians. They were asking $100 each for them, and in the ad, they stated that "you could just feed them lettuce and whatever other vegetables you would like" and that they "didn't need water because they got it all from the lettuce and vegetables." YIKES.

I didn't have $100 each to spend at the time, so I contented myself with reposting the ad here and sending them an email on care, and urged them to soak the tortoises and give them some water. I never heard back from them, but when they put up a new ad a week later, they had removed the parts about feeding lettuce and them not needing water. They also dropped the price to $75 each.

About a week after that, they dropped the price again, to $50 each. I updated the thread on them, and the offers of help started pouring in. I offered to send a set of jewelry to those that helped me out, that way, I was able to get the tortoises and not have it be like I got something for nothing.

So, thanks to the awesome members of this forum, I was able to pick these two up this past Sunday. They are in pretty good shape, all things considered. They did end up being male and female. The female is now the largest Russian I have.

Here are the promised pics ;)

New gal - she is just a hair over 6" SCL

016.jpg

017.jpg

And the new guy. He is about 5" SCL.

019.jpg

018.jpg

From their color I would guess they have been in captivity about three years.

Here is the big new girl next to Darya, who is the largest of my original group.

021.jpg

I put them in a soak as soon as I got home - the big girl LOVES them. She closes her eyes and just literally basks in the warm water.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
Oh those are so cute! I wish I could find a rescue also. There's a guy listing a Russian here that is 4" big and male and "Won't get any bigger" (there's just so many things wrong with that sentence). He's selling the little guy with a 20 gallon fish tank, bare bottomed with a lettuce leaf in the corner, nothing else. I've spoken to him and if I can get my setup in time I'll take him. Your story is renewing my drive :)

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
That is a great story. It's awesome that the people on this forum (no I was not one!) were willing and able to help you, and great that you got to give something back to them. What will their names be? Will the contributors get a say? Will you send out mails and pics that show how they're doing, like those heart breaking starving kids in 3rd world country commercials? I think at least these people would be on your tort's holiday card list... :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
*jumps up and down in glee*
Their lives have changed. Wait til next summer!

Creteloc said:
Oh those are so cute! I wish I could find a rescue also. There's a guy listing a Russian here that is 4" big and male and "Won't get any bigger" (there's just so many things wrong with that sentence). He's selling the little guy with a 20 gallon fish tank, bare bottomed with a lettuce leaf in the corner, nothing else. I've spoken to him and if I can get my setup in time I'll take him. Your story is renewing my drive :)
bare aquarium? I hope you can get him...he'd be better off even if you couldn't get a UVB right away...

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
Lucky lucky torts~! Love a story with a happy ending. You rock!!!!

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Those are some beautiful torts there! Glad you were able to pick them up!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I think the people that rock are the ones that allowed me to get my hands on these two - I can't say thank you enough!

Their names are Ananya and Fyodor. They will join Darya, Sveta, Vanya, and Nurai soon!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Kristina said:
I think the people that rock are the ones that allowed me to get my hands on these two - I can't say thank you enough!

Their names are Ananya and Fyodor. They will join Darya, Sveta, Vanya, and Nurai soon!
Sorry, I should have said that to all of you. You all ROCK!!! :):D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am pretty sure your male russians are singing I like big tortoises and I can't lie"
They look good and the female looks nice I am very jealous.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So glad they are with you instead of where they were. They look great. They look to my inexperienced russian eye like they are the same "type" as your other female in the pic too.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
YES! I was patently excited when I finally got to see them in person, because they absolutely are the same subspecies as my original 4. How cool and providential is that?!?!

Thanks David, I think she is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.