new rescue sulcata, need some advice

CNJ

Location (City and/or State)
Queens
I'm a new tortoise owner who got a last minute rescue tortoise with severe pyramiding. Since I live in NY it too cold to have him outside at the moment. I am trying to rig up my glassed in sunporch porch as a temporary winter enclosure but it is hard to keep it warm and humid enough with a space heater and lamps. Any suggestions for a temporary build that could trap the heat for a 30lb Sulcata? As Vladimir said, I would love some photos of indoor set-ups!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's the thing most people don't realize about greenhouses (glassed in porches). They are very difficult to heat, and without heat they're just as cold inside as it is outside, unless the sun is shining on it.

I think you'll need to make some sort of heated night box, and place it inside the sun porch. Make it big enough that the tortoise is comfortable staying inside on very cold days. THe tortoise can go out onto the sunporch when he wants, but can then retreat back into the night box when he gets cold. Heating the night box will be much easier than heating the whole sunporch. Tom as given us a couple real good threads on how to build a night box.

CNJ

Queens
Thank you Yvonne! I will check out Tom's threads. This site has been so helpful.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you Yvonne! I will check out Tom's threads. This site has been so helpful.
Also, using a radiator for heat is preferable to other heating methods, because it helps with humidity.

SULCY

NEW YORK
I also used the oil filled radiators they really work out great and never had a problem with them.

Sue Andreski

Holiday, FL
That's the thing most people don't realize about greenhouses (glassed in porches). They are very difficult to heat, and without heat they're just as cold inside as it is outside, unless the sun is shining on it.

I think you'll need to make some sort of heated night box, and place it inside the sun porch. Make it big enough that the tortoise is comfortable staying inside on very cold days. THe tortoise can go out onto the sunporch when he wants, but can then retreat back into the night box when he gets cold. Heating the night box will be much easier than heating the whole sunporch. Tom as given us a couple real good threads on how to build a night box.
New Sulcata human here.... so, who is Tom and how do I find the threads?