New rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

keschete

5 Year Member
Hi, I just took in a tortoise and I am trying to find out what he or she is. The person who had this fella was babysitting him for the owner, who got him from someone else and has no idea what he is.

His cage is a 20 gal aquarium which is WAY too small and he has no heat or UVB lights and the person is feeding him her African grey parrot pellets. He also has no hide, so I covered part of the tank with a towel for now and he did drink a bunch of water and eat some green I keep for my beardies.

I have herps but no tortoises and I have an extra heat lamp and I have a strip light with either 5.0 or 10.0 Reptisuns. I need to ID this guy, get the right lights and food and get him on some calcium and vitamins.

Need guidance please!!!

Thanks

c6868f61.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi keschete:

Its a box turtle. Looks like it might either be a 3-toe (terrapene carolina triunguis) or gulf coast (terrapene carolina major). They really like water and need a dish they can climb into on their own. They eat a lot of animal matter (bugs, worms, etc), but will also eat fruit and veg.

Welcome to the Forum.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

keschete

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi keschete:

Its a box turtle. Looks like it might either be a 3-toe (terrapene carolina triunguis) or gulf coast (terrapene carolina major). They really like water and need a dish they can climb into on their own. They eat a lot of animal matter (bugs, worms, etc), but will also eat fruit and veg.

Welcome to the Forum.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

A 3 toed box turtle?? That is wild, I think they are protected here.

I am in South Louisiana. I am going to have to look up info about them. I know someone who cares for wild 3 toed box turtles and has a yard where they can winter over. She does it through the state.

Oh, and I am Kaya Eschete

Thanks for the info.

keschete

5 Year Member
I have been looking at pictures, and I really think this is a Gulf Coast Box Turtle. I had one of these in my yard last year, come to think of it....

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Thank goodness you are doing your research! Thank you for that, and saving this little one. I don't know much about boxies, but you'll learn so much here, welcome!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Good for you for saving the poor thing. He does look pretty good though for how you said he was last taken care of. Good luck

keschete

5 Year Member
Update: He and it is a he, is a 50 plus year old Carolina or Eastern Box Turtle and I managed to find a lady who rescues them. She said the shell indicated he was wild caught and that he is at least 50 or maybe even older than that. He was very thin and dehydrated. She put him in a paddock and he started eating first thing and then settled for a soak. She will keep him and take care of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.