New rescued Sulcata care taker

Lissie

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis TN
Hello everyone, my name is Lissie (lee-cee). I've never kept a tortoise before and had no idea the one I was getting is the 3rd largest tortoise in the world. Needless to say I am now in love with my tiny Sulcata. Doing lots of research, mostly here on Tortoise Forum. Rapidly learning as much as I can so I can raise a healthy happy tortoise and praying one of my Grands takes my Ellie Mae ways and wants this behemoth I am raising. I am from south west Tennessee and have perfect outdoor weather in summer. Today I've been reading about warm outdoor enclosures. My little Torcata (think I just named it finally) currently spends his days in his little habitat I made for him and his nights in a plastic shoebox on a teptile heating pad that covers half the box. He is eating what ever I forage for him daily. Going into his water bowl and drinking regularly. Spends a little time basking in the sun but mostly when napping he goes into a little square bucket that i put extra water in and shade with the lid to tote. The sunny end in have covered with a screen all of which sits perfectly on a aquarium stand just outside my frint door. Temp ranges from 110-80 degrees depending on amount of sun that day and time of day. I'll attach some pics so y'all can see what i'm working with. Currently unemployed but working on renewing my permit to drive a horse and carriage again. Covid making that very difficult. So my funds are very limited. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated. I have read basic care by Tom a very extensive list of things I can feed Torcata many of which I currently have growing or can forage locally don't remember who posted but great info for sure. Guess y'all can already tell I'm a long winded southerner. I'll just leave it at that. Y'all have a great afternoon and happy tortoising!

15937200257871879241441.jpg1593720069668127380919.jpg1593720086993871864276.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome....lots of info in Tom’s care sheet that you can use to upgrade your tort’s housing. Lucky you, nice warm humid weather! good luck

ps - take a look at the dark hides that Tom recommends. A rubbermaid tub with an entrance creates a nice dark humid hide.

Reactions: Ink

Lissie

Memphis TN
Welcome....lots of info in Tom’s care sheet that you can use to upgrade your tort’s housing. Lucky you, nice warm humid weather! good luck

ps - take a look at the dark hides that Tom recommends. A rubbermaid tub with an entrance creates a nice dark humid hide.
I've found some old hollow logs in an abandoned cemetery I'd really like to try and use one of. Any special care before using I should know about? I know in my fish tank I have to boil native wood and rocks first.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone, my name is Lissie (lee-cee). I've never kept a tortoise before and had no idea the one I was getting is the 3rd largest tortoise in the world. Needless to say I am now in love with my tiny Sulcata. Doing lots of research, mostly here on Tortoise Forum. Rapidly learning as much as I can so I can raise a healthy happy tortoise and praying one of my Grands takes my Ellie Mae ways and wants this behemoth I am raising. I am from south west Tennessee and have perfect outdoor weather in summer. Today I've been reading about warm outdoor enclosures. My little Torcata (think I just named it finally) currently spends his days in his little habitat I made for him and his nights in a plastic shoebox on a teptile heating pad that covers half the box. He is eating what ever I forage for him daily. Going into his water bowl and drinking regularly. Spends a little time basking in the sun but mostly when napping he goes into a little square bucket that i put extra water in and shade with the lid to tote. The sunny end in have covered with a screen all of which sits perfectly on a aquarium stand just outside my frint door. Temp ranges from 110-80 degrees depending on amount of sun that day and time of day. I'll attach some pics so y'all can see what i'm working with. Currently unemployed but working on renewing my permit to drive a horse and carriage again. Covid making that very difficult. So my funds are very limited. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated. I have read basic care by Tom a very extensive list of things I can feed Torcata many of which I currently have growing or can forage locally don't remember who posted but great info for sure. Guess y'all can already tell I'm a long winded southerner. I'll just leave it at that. Y'all have a great afternoon and happy tortoising!
The way you are housing it is likely to end in its death, and if not, its still not good. They need stable indoor housing when they are babies. 110 can kill it. Colder nights can make it sick and kill it. Heating pads can kill it. Outside all day is bad for babies. Temperatures and conditions don't matter. I've done many side-by-side experiments with clutch mates of various species over the last decade to reach this conclusion, and I've watched other keepers around the globe produce the same results.

Here is the right way to house them:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Lissee!

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Welcome to the forum and enjoy learning how to take care of your baby.