new RF owner needs some advice

Jennifer G

Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, NY
Hello to all: I am new to tortoise husbandry. Just got a baby redfoot (3 inches) 2 weeks ago. He/she arrived safe and proceeded to drink, eat and explore his new digs. So cute! after a few days he now tends to sleep all of the time in his hide. I have to wake him up to soak him and then he'll drink and eat a little bit but then goes right back to his hide for the rest of the day. I'm worried because he was such a good eater in the beginning, but now only takes a bite or three of some lettuce or cherry tomato. He enjoyed blueberries, but I don't want to give too much of that. I'm in the northeast and the weather has cooled off a bit since he arrived. I have UVB bulb for light and heat during the day (about 90 in the middle of the enclosure) and a heating pad taped to the side of the tub where his hide is located with a probe to monitor temp, set at 80. I am getting concerned because he doesn't bother eating or drinking on his own. Is this normal behavior? Should I not be waking him up all the time? He has a water dish, but never goes in on his own. Thanks.

Jennifer G

Buffalo, NY
Hello to all: I am new to tortoise husbandry. Just got a baby redfoot (3 inches) 2 weeks ago. He/she arrived safe and proceeded to drink, eat and explore his new digs. So cute! after a few days he now tends to sleep all of the time in his hide. I have to wake him up to soak him and then he'll drink and eat a little bit but then goes right back to his hide for the rest of the day. I'm worried because he was such a good eater in the beginning, but now only takes a bite or three of some lettuce or cherry tomato. He enjoyed blueberries, but I don't want to give too much of that. I'm in the northeast and the weather has cooled off a bit since he arrived. I have UVB bulb for light and heat during the day (about 90 in the middle of the enclosure) and a heating pad taped to the side of the tub where his hide is located with a probe to monitor temp, set at 80. I am getting concerned because he doesn't bother eating or drinking on his own. Is this normal behavior? Should I not be waking him up all the time? He has a water dish, but never goes in on his own. Thanks.
Also: I took him outside a couple of times to enjoy the sunshine on nice days...He loved it, ate a dead ant, and the next time ate a worm, much to my disgust.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If all of your parameters are correct (They don't seem to be) Then I'd say that a baby Redfoot sleeping a lot is normal. They do.
But it sounds like your enclosure needs tweaking.
You want temperatures of between 80,81 to 88. With 84 being perfect. Redfoot need high humidity. Over 75%. That is nearly impossible to achieve without some type of closed chamber. (An enclosure with a lid.)
They do not like bright lights, but need a source of U.V. A type of UV "bulb" sold at most pet shops annoys them and could actually harm a tortoises eyes.
Can you provide us with photos of your whole set-up? Lights, heat, everything. This way we can help steer you into making some corrections that will help you both over the long and short term.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Hi Jennifer. Congratulations on your new tortoise. Looking forward to seeing photos. This is the best place to get advice on everything tortoise. If you follow it your little guy can thrive.

Jennifer G

Buffalo, NY
IMG_0982.JPG IMG_0982.JPG IMG_0983.JPG IMG_0984.JPG IMG_0985.JPG QUOTE="ZEROPILOT, post: 1521446, member: 42088"]If all of your parameters are correct (They don't seem to be) Then I'd say that a baby Redfoot sleeping a lot is normal. They do.
But it sounds like your enclosure needs tweaking.
You want temperatures of between 80,81 to 88. With 84 being perfect. Redfoot need high humidity. Over 75%. That is nearly impossible to achieve without some type of closed chamber. (An enclosure with a lid.)
They do not like bright lights, but need a source of U.V. A type of UV "bulb" sold at most pet shops annoys them and could actually harm a tortoises eyes.
Can you provide us with photos of your whole set-up? Lights, heat, everything. This way we can help steer you into making some corrections that will help you both over the long and short term.[/QUOTE]
Zeropilot: I'm attaching some photos. I'm using a zoo med power sun UBA/UVB 100 watts during the day, plus I have a seeding heating pad attached to the side of the tub with a thermostat set to 80 for nighttime heat, plus it's just "on" during the day for additional heat if needed. I've had conflicting advice about whether to put the heating pad on the side of the tub or under the bottom. The probe from the thermostat is in the log hide and gets up to about 78. I have a screen over the top because I have cats, but cover most of the enclosure with towels to help retain humidity. I spray it 3 or 4 times a day, but find I'm having to pour a bit of water directly in spots to keep it at 60-70 percent. I must admit I let the enclosure get a bit dry last week, but changed all the spag and wet it yesterday before replacing it. He's eating a little today, but I had to wake him up again. Seems sort of sleepy or lethargic.

Last edited:

MyersTortoise

Petersburg, VA
In order to achieve the right humidity for him, you need to create a "humid hide." It is really easy to create. I have made mine from plastic sweaterbox and storage containers. I use the containers righside up and cut the doorway in the side or end of the container itself, leaving about a 1/4" to 1/2" lip on the bottom. This height depends upon the size of the container and tortoise's size. I then put about a 1" to 2" layer of sphagnum moss in the bottom. The lip on the doorway also helps to hold the spaghnum moss in and is not as easily dragged out by the tortoises. I leave the top of the container on loosely so that once a day or as needed I can quickly and simply lift it up and mist the moss to keep it slightly dampened. If the container is light colored or clear I spray paint the entire outside with black paint so that the interior is dark which the tortoises seem to prefer.