New Rubbermaid pond for turtle with DIY K1 media pond filter

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Near Disneyland
My turtle got really big. He needed a new bigger home.
So instead of an aquarium, his home is now a 300 gal rubbermaid stock tank.

Toddrick1 inspired me to make my own pond filter. Did some investigating and at the different types of DIY pond filters I could make. There was some DIY pond filters with filter pads and scrubbies and stuff, butI wanted to try something different so I am making my pond filter with K1 media. This media is used for fluidized beds.

Why I chose this style of pond filter is I like the fact that i can backwash the K1 media. I watched this video:

I used 1.5" pvc pipes for the intake and backwash lines, 2" for outflow, Uniseals are used instead of bulkheads. I just followed the above youtube video and this one:

Got it set up this week and I will see if this filter works and easy to keep clean.?
Trying to figure out how to keep the submersible filter in the tank. Any suggestions would be awesome. Also will be putting in some aquarium heaters for the winter as this turtle is an FRT.

So here are the pictures:

Attachments

• whole can.jpeg
    whole can.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • inside can.jpeg
    inside can.jpeg
    492.4 KB · Views: 19
  • media and pond.jpeg
    media and pond.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • turt left koi rt.jpeg
    turt left koi rt.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • tort right koi rt.jpeg
    tort right koi rt.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Glad you got some ideas from my post. You shouldn't have any problem keeping that stock tank nice and clear. I switched over from the Bulkhead to Uniseal on my second version. They are much easier to work with.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Glad you got some ideas from my post. You shouldn't have any problem keeping that stock tank nice and clear. I switched over from the Bulkhead to Uniseal on my second version. They are much easier to work with.
Toddrickfl1, you inspired me to use a big trash can and that I could do this. Thanks again for your great advice. My Fly River Turtle thanks you too! He is doing well in his new home.