"New" Russain tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerafreak

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lincoln, Ne
I'm not quite a new tortoise owner but after finding this site I feel like one. I have had my male Russain tortoise for almost two years now. I'm not sure of his age because I purchused him from PETCO. When I got Munchie I wasn't told much about russain tortoises or anything so at this point I feel deprived of information. I feed Munchie greens and vegies, I leave hay in his cage, I have a shallow water dish for him, I have a uv light, heating light, and a night heating light. Is there anything I'm missing? Is there any way to tell his age?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sadly when a petco tortoise is sold there is no way of knowing age, to do that you need to know the hatch date, all one can do is guess. petco russians are WC and I welcome you to the forum.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you are doing a good job. Read through this forum and I'm sure you'll find plenty of information to supplement what you are already doing. Might I suggest searching for things like optimal temperatures, UV lighting options, hides, substrate options, etc. I spent hours here just reading about those things before I got my pair of russians. And if you have any specific questions, there's always someone around to help.

If you want specific input on what you are currently doing I would invite you to post pictures of your setup and you will get both positive feedback and constructive criticism. Don't miss this thread on how to post pictures, if you need it.

Travis

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Camera Freak:

Welcome to the forum!!

(May we know your name?)

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your doing pretty well to me. Theres lots of people who will help with any question syou have on here!

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
welcome to the forum, but be careful the more you learn about your tortoise the more you are going to want to have another.

Jon

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to learn about tortoises! If you can post pics we'd love to see them!

Jenilyn

5 Year Member
Michigan
jwhite said:
welcome to the forum, but be careful the more you learn about your tortoise the more you are going to want to have another.

Jon

baaahhhh he is so right.

camerafreak

5 Year Member
Lincoln, Ne
I wish I would have read up on information before going out and getting munchie. By the way my name is Ricki lol. I guess the one question I have is do I need to get him cuttlebone? If so can I get it from the bird section at PETCO? I think one little munchie will be enough for me, my mom would kill me if I asked to get another one lol.

I'll post some pictures of my tank and Munchie soon!!

camerafreak

5 Year Member
Lincoln, Ne
Also... I have some horrible dyslexic problems so if you notice anything like Russain instead of Russian I am sorry. You might see it a lot actually. Most of the time I catch myself but I didn't seem to this time lol.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
bird cuttle bone is just fine, I personally get mine from my local feed store like 25 cents a piece.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Not a new owner but feel like you are..
before I joined here.. or before it existed actually! I Found a russian tort

I had no idea what it was, i thought it was a baby desert tortoise and was thrilled..
then I found out what he was, full grown and will stay small.. oh well. still have him and
4 sulcatas now! HA! NOT SMALL!
I had no idea how many types of torts there were. Thought they ALL hibernated.. and had no clue on diet..
in fact I had a hingeback.. found out about its care here.. and re homed it with someone who had a passion for them.. I had it ALL WRONG! but that is what is SO GREAT about this forum.. Learning and sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.