New Russian- a few questions

DarwinTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
USA
We recently added a Russian tortoise to our family- I posted the the whole story yesterday on the introductions thread. So far he’s doing very well- he’s eating great, pooping, wandering around and happy to be fed by hand. He is in a plastic tub until I finish his tortoise table this weekend. I have the 100w Daytime Heat Lamp bulb from Exo Terra keeping a basking spot of about 95° and was going to get him a strip UV for his enclosure but now I’m wondering if I should get a MVB to cover both? He is just over 4.5” long, is there any way to estimate age from that? And here is a photo of his tail- I’m wondering if he is really a she?

Attachments

• 65A838DC-C986-4905-95B7-FC43D9CBF081.jpeg
    65A838DC-C986-4905-95B7-FC43D9CBF081.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49

hollygaucas

Manchester
I’m afraid I’m going to leave the heat and light questions to the experts but you definitely have a male there! Is he 4.5 centimetres or inches?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
That may not be a male. Maybe someone with a bit more experience can chime in. To me, it almost looks femal. My males have a much longer tail

hollygaucas

Manchester
That may not be a male. Maybe someone with a bit more experience can chime in. To me, it almost looks femal. My males have a much longer tail

But your males will be older than this one as it must be young due to its length.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Yes that is true. It is just my opinion. I am not saying it is not, just looks more female to me. And my male is only 5 inches but, his tail goes all the way to the side and is very long.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
My male is also 4.5 inches, but his tail is very long and carried to the side. The * shape of the vent also looks like a female.