New Russian Baby!! And Shell Questions...

LasersPewPew

Hello!

I got my Russian Tortoise "Prince Adam" (He-Man reference) a few days ago from Pet Supermarket. He's very sweet and active, BMs and appetite seem fine, but I have my doubts about his shell.

The top section is pulling away from the outer section a little bit. When I run my finger along the line, it feels brittle, like it wants to flake off.

I did a soak and used a soft toothbrush on his shell, but nothing flaked off.

I attached a pic to this post so everyone can see what I am talking about. Any ideas?

IMG_2134.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

That's the areas of new growth. Of course, most of our responses will be guesses, pulled up from our own experiences, and to me this looks like he used to live in a habitat where the light might have been too close to the top of his shell, causing the new growth to burn a little and dry out.

If this were my tortoise, I would massage in some cold pressed coconut oil, allow it to absorb for about 15 minutes, then polish it all off with a clean, absorbent cloth.

Nice-looking tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, and incidentally, Sir Prince isn't a baby. He's probably about full grown, maybe 8 or 10 years of age. If you'll show us his tail we can tell you for sure if he IS Prince or Princess.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Yes, he's not longer a baby. :) Would love to see more pictures and help you identify if it is a she or a he if you need advice.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello @LasersPewPew and a very warm welcome to the forum!

An adorable tort. GOD bless.

Any pics of his/er enclosure?