New Russian - many Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debster

5 Year Member
Hello! I just joined today, and posted an intro in the intro area. I am Debster, Lightening Fluff is our Russian Tortoise who belongs to my 8yo, Carl.

Fluff joined our family on 7/3 and has not eaten yet. (I am writing this on 7/6). I read in a thread that I cannot find now that if the pet store gave her fruit loop smelling pellets and a bathing area that has a plastic ramp to go up & to get out that I should be skeptical about what they told me. So here are the facts, and my questions...:tort:

Main question: I am worried because she hasn't eaten.

1. Lamps. I am reading advice on this or that coil / UVB light. I have a 75W basking spot lamp on for 12 h, and a 75W nocturnal infrared heat lamp for the other 12h. What is a coil lamp? I do not see on the package anything about it being a UVB light. Can this be the problem?

2. Temps: I don't have a thermometer, but will get one today. What temp should it be in her home?

3. Bathing: I gave her a short warm bath today. First place I read to do that was here. Let her sit for a few minutes until she seemed to want to get out. She put her head down a few times, and I'm hoping that this was to drink. Q: how long and how often should I put her in a bath? Will she go into the sloped soaking pool that looks perfect to us humans, or should I just plan on putting her in?

4. Food: I got it that I should be focusing on leafy greens. Kale, collards, dandelion, spring mix. What about those fruit-loop smelling pellets that I bought at the store? Will she eat those? Is there something else I should be buying?

5. Vitamins/ Calcium: The pet store said nothing about these. Should I add something to her diet?

6. Should she be able to climb on top of the half-log that I have in there for her? My son put her up there after she was outside, and as she tried to get down she nose-dived. We won't do that again, but I was surprised!

Yes, we had her outside for a bit yesterday, and we will do that again today!

Thanks for your help!! I am worried about Fluff - she does not seem like the active exploring animal I expected. (And in my book, not eating is never good.)

Debster, Ann Arbor, MI

0.1.0 tortoise
2.1.0 humans

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Welcome!
They often don't eat right away until they adjust, but see below.

1. Lighting/heat. They need UV. So get either a tube fluorescent (length of your enclosure) and a 100-150W (based on the side of your enclosure) basking bulb. Even an incandescent house bulb with do. OR, get an MVB like a Powersun 100w for heat and UV with an extra regular bulb part way down to brighten up and add some extra warmth.
They do not need night heat, in fact, they seem to do better if they have a difference in night and day temps. they can tolerate enclosure temps down into the 50's, well below most household temps.
She may not be able to warm up during the day to promote digestion, so can't eat. And she may be too warm at night, which inhibits activity.
2. Temps: get an infared temp gun to point and take temps. You need an accurate thermometer to know that you have temps right. This is very important.
Pet stores sell these, or you can get them online.
Just an example, I don't like to promote big box pet stores, but for the pic
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12465733
3. bath in a shallow opaque container in 'baby bath' warm water daily for a week then 2-3x per week if an inside tortoise.
4.Food: http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm
See their edible plant list too. Variety is the key.
5. make sure there is a cuttlebone in the enclosure. A very good supplement (there are several) is the TNT powdered supplement from Carolina Pet supply. Get it with probiotics just for good measure. Dust lightly on greens/weeds after lightly misting.
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/ca...id=261&zenid=389744fc0696cdc9d51163fa9ae13afb
No fruit except perhaps a monthly carrot chunk for beak trimming.
6. they are excellent climbers and will jump off. if you have an irregular substrate, they can usually right themselves. You have to have hides, so keep this in place.

Substrate:eek:rganic topsoil (no fertilizer or weed control) found at hardware stores is fine. Coir (comes as bricks that you add soil to. Most of us do not use sand. Make it at least 6" deep in burrowing areas.
Finally, an outside enclosure for the warmer months is the very best thing you can do for your Russian tortoise!

PrincessToad

5 Year Member
My russian didn't eat for over a month when I first got him, now he's a vegetarian garbage disposal. Good luck with lightning fluff!

Vickie

5 Year Member
The above is all GREAT advise. However, a couple things (unless I skipped over it) that you might want to try is carrot baths. That is mixing baby food carrots with a bit of warm water to help give him a boost which might promote eating. Another thing is you should take a stool sample to the vet or better yet bring it to a vet to check on parasites with its stool sample. Sadly a lot of tortoises you find in pet stores tend to be wild caught and a lot of them have worms etc....which can keep them from wanting to eat. On the head thing it isn't pressing the head into the water its pushing back on its head to keep it from getting out of its bath before time is over. Some plain tend a first when experiencing baths want to get out almost immediately since its new to them. On leafy greens if you haven't I would try them right away! If you even like give it just a small bite of fruit melon etc in with the greens it might just get it started on eating again. Also, if he is used to the fruity scented food he might need weaned off of it since that might be all it has know in captivity. On the coil bulb they are the ones that look like the newer regular light bulbs you see with extended hrs which are ones that are coiled in appearance. These can also include ones that look like normal bulbs on the outside however, inside you then see that coiled glass.

Then lastly just breath. ;) I have read time and again on here new tortoises the just plain will not eat for a the first few days when moving to a new environment. It can just be scared a bit.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Here are a few food item that might jump start your Russian's appetite.

Dandelions --- both leaves and flowers with stems. Start with the flowers...they like the color/smell.

Radicchio --- A red and white leafed head in your produce department.

Romaine --- This lettuce is one of their favorites.

Variety is the key....don't be afraid to start them eating with a little of their favorite and then have a mixture of the healthier greens....once mine start eating they will continue even if its good for them. :)

Weeds from a chemical and pesticide free area are some of their best foods. Check the list for safe weeds.

Good luck!

Debster

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for all of the advice!! I re-read the responses several times, and will refer back to it!!

I went out and got a light that has UVB, and I got some thermometers. I also will stop using the heat at night.

I bathed her today, and will continue to do so.

Cuttlebone? Wow - so, I had to look online to find one. And I will get the TNT supplement. Thanks, because my petstore didn't have either one :)

I have the coconut fiber substrate in her enclosure.

Unfortunately she pooped only once since she got home, so I can't take a stool sample to the vet!

You all are awesome! I feel better already, and hopefully Fluff will too!

I'll let y'all know when she starts eating :)
Thanks -
Debster

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You can only get TNT at Carolina Pet Supply, free shipping.

Cuttlebones are sold for birds at pet stores, so look in that area.
(CPS also sells them, but I don't think that is free shipping).

Keep us posted!

Their cuttlebone is free shipping, but probably more than you want...

Debster

5 Year Member
YAY! As I type, Fluff is eating clover that I picked from my back yard.

I put the clover in her dish a few hours ago.... and then did some other work, and then read a bit more about Russians and temperatures and such, ordered a temperature gun... and then put my hand in the air above Fluff's shell as she was basking under the heat lamp. The thermometer in the cage says 80, so it should be warmer right under that lamp, but it didn't feel particularly warm. So I took the infrared heat lamp (that I didn't think I needed any more), and pointed that down too. (this is in addition to the UVA/UVB lamp). Fluff moved so that she was directly under the intersection of those two heat beams, sat there for a while, and THEN went to munch on some greens.

I'll leave the lamps both focused on that one spot for now - she has a cooler retreat on the other side.

THANKS to everyone who has posted anywhere - it was only from reading that I thought to get clover or add more heat.

Debster
2.1 humans
0.1 tortoise

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Excellent. If you have a shortage of weeds, get organic Spring mix ( no or minimal spinach), and use that as a base. Keep an eye out for Chicory and Dandelion.

Good thinking on the lights. You're going to make a great tortoise Mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.