New Russian Parents in NJ

Darby Homestead

Location (City and/or State)
Southern New Jersey
Please meet Hector. As soon as we get his enclosure set up, we will arrange the shipping date!

I left a pretty detailed description of who we are within my profile. We are always open to questions. I already signed up to be a monthly subscriber! We've learned so much in the last few weeks on this forum, it makes my head spin. Looking forward to making friends, learning all we can, and being the best Russian Tortoise parents we can be.

My daughter, Elizabeth, has been obsessed with turtles for several years. We have been obsessed with homesteading for just as long. We told her when we buy our farm, she can have one. (In the meantime, we discovered that a tortoise is a better fit for our family, as newbies.)

With the homestead dream so close, we decided to step up our research game. I went to do price comparisons and we found an adorable little guy with a dandelion! Liz wants to GROW dandelions on the farm, so she was sold. When I realized that he can be indoors over the winter, I contacted his breeder. Within an hour, we decided he was coming home!

We would like to set up a small habitat for him for the first few months. We're hoping to move in November. We will build him a more than adequate enclosure indoors for the winter and he will (if we get the house) get an over-sized, safety-minded outdoor dream home.

Please point me to any accurate guides you can. We will be grabbing the things he needs over the next few days.

It's very nice to meet you.