New Russian Tort owner here. Need a little temperature help.

Mikedor350

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
We got our son a Russian tort for his 6th bday (and secretly for me too). We did all the research is advance, read a lot on this forum, read, re/read and printed the care sheets and thought we were ready (UV T5 HO bulb, shallow water dish, hide, substrate to burrow in, heat lamp, thermo gradient tort table going from bask to room temp so he can thermoregulate, etc)

But now that we’re set up and have the tort we’ve come across a question we didn’t think of b/c is very scientific and complicated. I poured over the forum and never found a definitive answer (I think there six posts on this that are inconclusive)

Is the recommended basking temp of 95F measured on the basking surface with an IR temp gun or measured in air temp at shell height with a digital thermometer directly above the basking surface/directly beneath the heat lamp?

The reason I ask is when I measure the two there is a huge difference between the two.

When the air temp at shell height between the heat lamp and basking surface is 95, the temp of the the basking surface is 122 with IR temp gun. The surrounding substrate is 120! This seems a bit too hot for the tort to rest on to bask. I can put my hand on it and it’s hot. I can keep it there but it’s very uncomfortable.

But when I adjust the temp by lowering the wattage/raise the lamp height to get the surface temp of the basking spot to 100, the air temp between the two is 85 degrees. Which could be too cold if I have it wrong.

So which measurement should the 95F basking temp be taken at? Surface of bask spot or air temp at shell height?

I’ve read the posts about testing it with a rock about the size of the tort, which is fine but I’m not able to determine what the ideal shell temp is either (and for how long) and what is too hot a surface for him.

Other (what I think are) relevant facts:

-basking spot is a 8” diameter slate circle that’s 1/8” thick (re-purposed fancy cheese board)
-substrate is coco choir blended with coco chips
-I have never seen the tort bask at either setting
-I have never seen him drink from his water dish or during soaks
-Eat/poops wayyy more than I thought something that small could
-Watching him eat is very relaxing
-Our son named him Leo McTortoiseButt

Sorry for rambling. I guess my question is how should I set up the basking spot:

1-By 95F on the surface by IR temp gun with an air temp of 85 between the heat lamp and basking stone

Or

2- By 95F in the air temp with a surface temp of 122?

Thanks.

Here’s a picture of him for suffering through this post (he won’t eat the fake plant-he seems to know it’s not edible-he “tested” and immediately declined to actually eat it).

Attachments

• 6E40FC79-5B8B-40DA-AB09-2402BA2022DF.jpeg
    6E40FC79-5B8B-40DA-AB09-2402BA2022DF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The top shell surface should be 95-100. This would give the floor surface the tort is standing on a bit cooler but wouldn't be too cool. Anything at the floor surface 85 and higher is fine.
If you make the floor surface 95, then the top of the shell should be no higher then 100.
Hope that makes sense.
Yes, the temps you mentioned you were getting is too hot.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I believe you would want #1 "1-By 95F on the surface by IR temp gun with an air temp of 85 between the heat lamp and basking stone"
The thing is, the stone will absorb heat, the Tort's Shell will Absorb the Heat, air does not absorb & hold heat. Solid's & gas's heat differently.
You wouldn't want anything getting above 100° for any length of time, You will burn the Tort's shell, If it does not move out of the area by itself...
In my opinion,,,,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So which measurement should the 95F basking temp be taken at? Surface of bask spot or air temp at shell height?

Sorry for rambling. I guess my question is how should I set up the basking spot:

1-By 95F on the surface by IR temp gun with an air temp of 85 between the heat lamp and basking stone

Or

2- By 95F in the air temp with a surface temp of 122?
None of the above. You need to know how hot the carapace is going to get if the tortoise parks under that heat lamp for an hour or more. Get a digital thermometer from the hardware store or Walmart that records the highs and lows. Set it on top of something so that it is around the same height as your tortoise's carapace, and directly under the heat lamp. Let it sit there and cook for an hour or more. This will tell you how hot objects, like a tortoise carapace for example, are getting at that height directly under the heat lamp. Adjust the fixture up or down as needed to get the correct basking temp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom I’ve done that. High is 90, low is 85. What should that temp be?
95 to 100 is ideal. If its only 90 in the morning after a cool night, but gradually warms up more as the enclosure warms up, that is good. If its 105 after sitting for 90 minutes cooking under the heat lamp on a warm day, that is okay too,

Mikedor350

San Diego
But at 95, I’m back to having. Surface temp of 122 isn’t that to hot for his plastron when he’s basking?