New Russian tortoise and hibernation.

Siggy

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi! My very old tortoise, George, (he was old when I was given him in 1988) sadly passed away last year, he was a very independent marginated tortoise and is missed so much!

My children got me a tortoise for my 40th birthday. She's a lovely ten year old Russian tortoise. She's a good size, has a huge appetite and loves to follow me around the garden. Early September we had a very cold patch and she buried herself for hibernation. I thought it was a bit early so I bought her into our kitchen. I popped her house into a cooler, darker and quiet part of our kitchen and put terranium soil and straw into it. after a couple of weeks of pootling around, she disappeared into it and hasn't come out.(late September) Every now and then I hear her shuffling around in there. I'm worried as it seemed early for hibernation. (George would be tanking around the garden until at least mid October) I've read so much conflicting advice about hibernating a new tortoise. I don't know whether to keep her in the kitchen so I can monitor her or to put her into a cooler place like I used to with George.

Sorry for going on a bit! Any advice would be gratefully received!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the wild Russian tortoises sometimes hibernate (brumate) for more than 6 months of the year. It's not unusual for your tortoise to go into brumation in September. I would put her into a cooler place until Spring.

Siggy

England
In the wild Russian tortoises sometimes hibernate (brumate) for more than 6 months of the year. It's not unusual for your tortoise to go into brumation in September. I would put her into a cooler place until Spring.
That’s what I was thinking. Thank you for your reply :)