New Russian tortoise mama...help!!

Ali Richardson

Location (City and/or State)
Dana Point, CA
Hellllp!!! Hi everyone, this is my first time posting although I've read through many previous posts and comments. I am a new mama to a Russian tortoise, Clementine. She's about a year old and we live in southern CA. Today I noticed she has a bulge...looks like it's coming out of her butt. Under her tail. At first I thought it was poop, but it doesn't look like that to me. Is she ill?? She has a good appetite, poops and urinates the normal amount. Seems ok so far. Just noticed this morning. Advice please, I am a total rookie.

IMG_6448.JPG

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

I am nooooooo expert but I think that might be a prolapse. Hopefully I'm wrong but I suggest you post a thread in the health section so that someone experienced can help you asap.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/tortoise-health.127/

I am not sure where you are exactly but if you end up needing one and you are in Orange or Riverside county, there is a great reptile vet in Yorba Linda: Dr. Tom Greek.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Moisten your fingers and with the pads of two fingers gently push the prolapse back in. You may have to sit there a while holding it in until the swelling goes down and he stops pushing.

Prolapses happen when a tortoise strains - constipated, parasites, dehydrated etc.

Unless you figure out why this happened and fix it, it will keep happening.

Do you soak the tortoise? Daily 15 minute soaks are beneficial.

Ali Richardson

Dana Point, CA
Moisten your fingers and with the pads of two fingers gently push the prolapse back in. You may have to sit there a while holding it in until the swelling goes down and he stops pushing.

Prolapses happen when a tortoise strains - constipated, parasites, dehydrated etc.

Unless you figure out why this happened and fix it, it will keep happening.

Do you soak the tortoise? Daily 15 minute soaks are beneficial.
Thank you so much!! I appreciate it. I'm in Dana Point. I think you're right. She sits in her water dish regularly but I don't actually soak her. I will take your advice.