New Russian Tortoise Mum

michelle1986

Location (City and/or State)
West Sussex U.K.
Hi,
Our family welcomed our first tortoise ( Rosie) into our home yesterday U.K. , it’s a small Russian. We brought a set up from our local reputable exotic shop so think we’re off to a good start.
this is also the first time I’ve ever used a forum but I have 100 questions so thought it would be helpful.

Attachments

• BA061CA4-5E73-45FC-B334-BA9F54C8B85A.jpeg
    BA061CA4-5E73-45FC-B334-BA9F54C8B85A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michelle, and welcome to the Forum!

Please feel free to ask all the questions you want, but also take a look through the pinned threads at the top of our Russian section.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Welcome to the forum, you will find all the info you need here for your new buddy! My first tortoise was a Russian. I hope you are having a lot of fun so far!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hi,
Our family welcomed our first tortoise ( Rosie) into our home yesterday U.K. , it’s a small Russian. We brought a set up from our local reputable exotic shop so think we’re off to a good start.
this is also the first time I’ve ever used a forum but I have 100 questions so thought it would be helpful.
What are you feeding your tort?
She looks a tad dry her shell. Could be me though. I would make sure you are giving her daily warm soaks at least 3-4 times a week for 10-15 mins

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi,
Welcome to the forum! Rosie is pretty cute. ?. You’ve come to the right place for advice. Here’s an excellent care sheet written by one of our members based on his many years of experience. It might help answer some of your immediate questions.

michelle1986

West Sussex U.K.
Welcome to the forum! Rosie is pretty cute. ?. You’ve come to the right place for advice. Here’s an excellent care sheet written by one of our members based on his many years of experience. It might help answer some of your immediate questions.

This is great thank you

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Michelle and welcome from Devon. Do you know how old Rosie is ? I am glad you have started weighing Rosie - also,when our Zola was a baby, we would stand him on a sheet of paper and draw round the edge of his shell, so we could see by the outlines how he had grown and changed shape over time.
You have put out lots of food for Rosie, but I think she might have trouble biting into some of the things - I would cut up some smaller bits for a start, and use a much flatter container for the food, so she can get at it more easily - tortoises often like to sit on their food while they eat !
Best wishes
Angie

Lou-Lou

Wales, UK
Thank you, we have her a soak this evening and we weighed her just so we can keep a check on what she’s up to.
Hi,
Hi
I'm also the proud owner of amy 6 month old Russian tortoise called "Raffe" (short for Raffaele). I also only joined this forum today as there is loads of info here.
I find that Raffe loves wild clover leaves from the garden it is high in proteins so don't over do it with the high protein foods. Also pop a dry cuttle fish bone in Rosie tank she will love it, it's a great source of calcium also a great way to prevent your tortoise's beak from becoming overgrown.
?Lou-Lou Wales, UK ?

Attachments

• 20210730_144746.jpg
    20210730_144746.jpg
    897.7 KB · Views: 8

michelle1986

West Sussex U.K.
Hello Michelle and welcome from Devon. Do you know how old Rosie is ? I am glad you have started weighing Rosie - also,when our Zola was a baby, we would stand him on a sheet of paper and draw round the edge of his shell, so we could see by the outlines how he had grown and changed shape over time.
You have put out lots of food for Rosie, but I think she might have trouble biting into some of the things - I would cut up some smaller bits for a start, and use a much flatter container for the food, so she can get at it more easily - tortoises often like to sit on their food while they eat !
Best wishes
Angie
Thank you Angie,

indone some reading today and have put some slate in with her food on and went for a forage in the garden using an app to see that I was feeding her safe leafs. I will look for smaller ones.
she seems to love the dandilion flowers

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Next time you are out on a nature walk, keep your eyes peeled for some nice flat basking rocks to add as tortoise furniture. They like to warm themselves on them, and grind their beaks on them too!!!