benjitort

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi, I am new to owning a Russian tortoise. I purchased one a week ago from PetSmart and brought it home. Its name is Benji. Benji has a large semi-translucent plastic bin filled with coconut fiber, a half log hide, a water bowl, a food bowl, and a basking rock. I have been soaking him daily in lukewarm water for around 15 minutes which seems to relax him and get him moving a bit. However, he spends most of his time buried under the coconut fiber or laying in the corner of his enclosure, overall being very sedentary. He has not eaten once since I brought him home though and I have not seen or found evidence of him defecating. He has a basking lamp that does Heat lamp and UVB functionality as well and the basking area is around or just under 90 degrees. Does anyone have any advice on how to help get him eating?

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Try feeding different things. Mine love romaine lettuce the most. You could also get a small cherry tomato and put it by the lettuce, they love tomatoes. Maybe he will eat that and then eat some lettuce.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Congrats on your purchase they are interesting to look after but do require correct heat, .light, food, water and humidity. If these go wrong then the shell growth over time can be uneven called pyramiding.
What I would do is prepare a high-sided bowl of shallow warm water, depth around lowest shell rim max 33 c for 20 to 30 mins. Some like it , some hate it! However a regular soak gets them drinking and hydrating the shell, so good for them. He may scrape and try to get out but as long as not in real danger this is exercise. When you return it to the enclosure have clean fresh water and fresh leaves dandelion flowers and leaves are a favourite. You can read tortoise table for ideas. Leave him alone and then return occasionally to see if he is eating. Let us know how you get on.