New Russian tortoise not eating

Location (City and/or State)
california
I bought a Russian tortoise recently about a week and a half ago and he's only eaten maybe twice. I've soaked him a few times and each time he's pooped twice or more. I soaked him for 20-30 minutes and he still won't eat. I don't know what to do. His enclosure is at 85-90 on the basking side. I haven't seen him soak by himself in his water dish. He just likes to dig to the bottom of the substrate in his hide and just stay there but sometimes he sleeps under the heat.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Tortoises HATE change, of any kind. Just moving a dish freaks some of them out, so imagine what they're like being put in a whole new place!

Probably, your tort is just pouting. It can take days, or weeks, or sometimes months for them to decide it's OK...you are not going to eat him, and the accommodations aren't so bad, and the food is good...this place is gonna be fine!

Just soak him, offer food each day, and wait.. one morning he'll greet you when you come with the food.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
This is the carehseet you need and if you follow the advice in it your tort should thrive.

www.thetortoisetable.org.uk will also help you find tort safe foods. (based on UK plants but you'll have many of them in the US)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome. Yes to all the above. I have a little Russian also and that's what he was like at first. He would also stop eating if I happened to check on him while he was eating. So I developed a habit of being sneaky and very quiet when I checked on him. He's really not like that after 14 years but I still try to not bother him if he's eating.