new russian tortoise not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhigh81

5 Year Member
I purchased a new russian tortoise 2 weeks ago. He lives in an outdoor enclosure. The lady I purchased him from also kept him in an outdoor enclosure, so he hasnt had any change in temps. She also took him to the vet every year so I know he is healthy. He was eating when I arrived to pick him up.
For the first couple days he hid in his burrow, but since then he comes out during the morning and afternoon and walks around and digs, ect. He also gets in his water dish every once in awhile.
The problem is he has not eaten anything since I have had him. I have offered spring lettuce every day, but they just end up drying up without him touching it.
I noticed he pooped twice when I first brought him home, but he hasnt since then.
I have reading online and everyone says it takes awhile for them to adjust to new surroundings. Anyone have any advice? How long should I wait before I start to really worry?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
congrats of the new tortoise :D You say that he is in an outdoor enclosure....is there any turf or weeds of any kind in there? If yes, he maybe nibbling. I would make sure to keep and eye on him to assure he does not find weak spots in your enclosure walls...since it is new to him I am certain he is already checking for weak spots... give him sometime...he is alright to go without food for sometime....are you feeding him the same stuff his prior owner was? :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He sounds healthy so I would imagine he is still re adjusting to the new environment. I would not worry to much yet, just give him some more time, although to be honest russians usually adapt very fast, have you tried hibiscus flowers? I know mine go crazy over them.

jhigh81

5 Year Member
Oh...dont know if this helps but the lady I got him from, she got him about 2 years ago and the vet estimated then he was 15 years old. He was wild caught, not captive breed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jhigh81:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Have you asked the previous owner what she was feeding him? Sometimes when we change a type of food, the tortoise may not recognize it as "food."

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
oh, wc takes a while to adjust, even more over than cp being re located.....

my ghamara would not eat anything I gave him for the first year! then one day i was doing my offering of flowers to all of my guys and i had a big ole juicy blood red rose...3 times bigger than his head...he booked over and starting eating it, when he was done he did the wc tortoise dirt spin/slide away from me.... now, he will come to check me out and eats just about anything I offer him (as long as it is organic and NOT rinsed with water)

give em time and if he has grazing area he will make do until he is ready .....

jhigh81

5 Year Member
There are no weeds or anything in his enclosure, but I did put down some tomothy hay so he could munch on that. I have seen him sniff(or thats what it look like anyways) the hay and the lettuce, but then just walks away. Spring lettuce is what she feed him, along with a mixture of other things. Where do you get hibiscus flowers? I was going to get dome dandelion greens at the store, but they were out. I am afraid to buy too many things since he isnt eating anyways, it will just go to waste. The lady I got him from said he was a pig, and would run out (as fast as a tortoise can) to get food.
The enclosure is very safe, I read online first and found out they were diggers so I made sure there is no way he can escape.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
the flowers grow on plants you may have to buy one or two if your neighbors don't have any, I also used to feed mustard greens during the winter time to mine, and dandelions should also work.

jhigh81

5 Year Member
My name is Jennifer, and I live in AZ. I have had a red ear slider turtle for about 8 years, named squirtle the turtle. My new guy is named Tortillini the Tortoise. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would be surprised if he munches the timothy hay :)

Hibiscus is a plant that you can purchase and it produces the flower (if you purchase one and want it to last cold winters you will want to purchase a Hardy Hibiscus) they can eat the flowers and leaves. If you purchase it from nursery you can confirm with them if they use pesticides/herbicides and if they are topical or systemic....if it is topical you can water it and let the current blooms run their course and then any new growth should be fine to feed.

feeding fruit is a thing that should only happen every so often...but maybe you can try to win his "affection" with a nice piece of banana or cranberry or blueberry, slice of orange without the seeds (if you use apple no seeds, toxic) and plan to suck up to his weak side for fruit....however, if you use this method you will then have to cut it out little by little maybe by small pieces within some greens.... but don't leave too long as every ant in the universe may come to visit :D maybe give him the food and pretend to go away..then have a vantage point where you can see him but he not you...? just some suggestions.

My old man Humphry LOVES fresh cranberry (i usually slice em in half so the juice is all over, then hose him off to remove the sticky stuff)

jhigh81

5 Year Member
I just feed him a small peice of apple, and he rubbed his nose/mouth on it, and then walked away. But it was definantly the most interest he has paid to any food since I have had him. Does rubbing on it mean anything?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think he is just settling in. They really can do w/o food for quite awhile, especially since he he active and fed well up to now. They are very astute, and he knows this is a different environment.
Just offer the Spring greens and any dandelion, chicory,petunia, pansy, etc., that you can find that is untreated, maybe even every other day. Spritz it with a bit of water to keep it fresh and walk away.
Russians are cute but very stubborn. When he is hungry, he will eat.

jhigh81

5 Year Member
Now it has been 2 1/2 weeks- still no interest in his food.

I purchased a new russian tortoise 2 weeks ago. He lives in an outdoor enclosure. The lady I purchased him from also kept him in an outdoor enclosure, so he hasnt had any change in temps. She also took him to the vet every year so I know he is healthy. He was eating when I arrived to pick him up.
For the first couple days he hid in his burrow, but since then he comes out during the morning and afternoon and walks around and digs, ect. He also gets in his water dish every once in awhile.
The problem is he has not eaten anything since I have had him. I have offered spring lettuce every day, but they just end up drying up without him touching it.
I noticed he pooped twice when I first brought him home, but he hasnt since then.
I have reading online and everyone says it takes awhile for them to adjust to new surroundings. Anyone have any advice? How long should I wait before I start to really worry?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
well since he is healthy and russians usually adapt fast, I would try offering more than just spring mix. Mine love hibiscus flowers, flowers of any type actually, did the previous owner say he had a favorite food or treat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jennifer:

I don't remember if you are keeping the tortoise outside? Maybe its too hot for him. I know it gets pretty hot in Arizona. Also, can you ask the previous owner what the tortoise is used to eating? Sometimes when you change a tortoise's diet, they don't recognize the new offering as "food."

ben and vivi

5 Year Member
its just due to the stress of a new environment, just give the little guy some time and make sure he\she has something to hide under so they feel less exposed. just leave him alone and try not to handle him to much until he show signs of feeding. my russian did exactly the same thing when i got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.