New Russian Tortoise owner

Simone Seymour

Location (City and/or State)
Denver
I am an animal lover who grew up caring for a desert tortoise that was given to me by a family friend when I was 8 years old. Just a few weeks ago I found an adult Russian Tortoise wandering into a busy street in Denver and have been unable to locate its owner. I have decided to adopt her and just want to do a great job caring for her. Though it seems no one is looking for her, she is in beautiful shape, very outgoing, smooth and well-formed shell, and active.

IMG_0460 (1).JPG

Bambam1989

East Texas
I am not an expert, but do his toe nails need trimmed? They look kind of long in the photo. He is gorgeous though. Lucky you and lucky him

Simone Seymour

Denver
I am not an expert, but do his toe nails need trimmed? They look kind of long in the photo. He is gorgeous though. Lucky you and lucky him
Thank you. I agree that her (at least I *think* she's female) nails are too long, and beak seems a little overgrown as well. I didn't want to scare her when I was getting to know her, but will trim the nails now that she's getting more comfortable around me (she stopped pulling her head in when I'm near.) I'd love advice about the beak too.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Russian's nails tend to be a little longer than other species. If you put rocks it his enclosure, they should wear down naturally. If you post a photo of her tail, we can confirm the gender. It's hard to tell how long her beak is from the photo, but so long as it doesn't hang over the lower jaw it should be fine.

Russians are the best!

Simone Seymour

Denver
Thanks, all! Learning a lot from this forum. I have attached pictures of the tail and beak of the Russian I found in the street recently. I think she is a girl- her tail does fold over to the side, just not as far as some pictures of males. It does have the little hook on the end. Also I was wondering if the beak is too overgrown. She also does not like to be soaked halfway up her shell as recommended- she doesn't panic but immediately starts to climb out of the tub and she's quite determined.

Attachments

• IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    401.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 10

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Sorry, can't see the photos.
She may never get to enjoy her soaks, some do, some don't, but it is good for her. Use a high sided opaque container so she can't see out.