New Russian Tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chadam

5 Year Member
Hello santa brought us a RT for christmas and he was in a reptile aquarium but it didn't seem very big. I made a new home for Snappy, that is what my 6 year old named him. I have some questions and would like any suggestions.
It is 3'x4' and has a laminate wood floor and timers for the uv light and heat lamp. I will attach a pic. I leave the uv light on for 14 hours a day and have been leaving the heat lamp 24-7. Should I turn the heat lamp off at all?
What should I use for substrate and how much? The people at petco reccommended these wood chips but after reading some post I don't know if that is good.
We live in southern MN and can't make a place for snappy outside yet and will be building something for him outside this spring so he can be outside also.
We are new to all this and would greatly appreciate any help/

Attachments

• DSC01107.JPG
    DSC01107.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 149

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
tortoises require a day/night cycle just as most living creatures do. If you are leaving the light on at night because you think its too cold in your house for the tortoise at night, then there are other ways to keep the habitat warm. First of all, its quite ok for there to be a night time drop in temp. It does that in nature too. So if your house cools down to around 70 at night that's ok, but if it gets cooler, then you can buy another clamp light fixture and use either a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or a black light bulb. You can buy the CHE in different wattages at any pet store and I buy my black bulbs at Wal-Mart for about $3 apiece. I like to use orchid bark or cypress mulch as substrate because you can keep it moistened underneath the top layer and it doesn't sour. But you can use coconut coir mixed with either playsand or top soil, aspen shavings, clean dirt from your yard...its really a personal choice and one that fits your and your tortoise's needs. Just remember not to use pine. Pine oil causes damage to the tortoise's eyes.

Yvonne

Chadam

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
tortoises require a day/night cycle just as most living creatures do. If you are leaving the light on at night because you think its too cold in your house for the tortoise at night, then there are other ways to keep the habitat warm. First of all, its quite ok for there to be a night time drop in temp. It does that in nature too. So if your house cools down to around 70 at night that's ok, but if it gets cooler, then you can buy another clamp light fixture and use either a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or a black light bulb. You can buy the CHE in different wattages at any pet store and I buy my black bulbs at Wal-Mart for about $3 apiece. I like to use orchid bark or cypress mulch as substrate because you can keep it moistened underneath the top layer and it doesn't sour. But you can use coconut coir mixed with either playsand or top soil, aspen shavings, clean dirt from your yard...its really a personal choice and one that fits your and your tortoise's needs. Just remember not to use pine. Pine oil causes damage to the tortoise's eyes.

Yvonne

Thanks again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like that waterer that you have for your little RT. Does he use it? I like that it has a ramp up into the bowl of it. I'm always on the look-out for decent waterers and feed bowls for little guys. Snappy is a cute little Russian. I know you will have lots of enjoyment watching his antics!

Yvonne

Chadam

5 Year Member
Yes we got it at petco and he does use it. My daughter loves Snappy and it seems to be a wonderful pet. Can she handle it too much? He seems to get more used to us and he likes sitting in her lap. Most of the time she takes him out and lets him run around. I have noticed he seems to 'poop' more when he is out running around. Do they go in certain spots in their home or do they go where ever?

Should we keep the substrate moist in some spots or is it better to keep it dry?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises are really freaked out by too much handling, and others seem to show a "friendship" with their handler. Since your tortoise doesn't seem bothered by handling, have your daughter to always remember to give total support to the tortoise's body, and don't carry him around so that its like flying through the air, it will be ok. I like to carry them on a scrap of rag, in case of accidents. Activity sometimes causes bowel movements. I'm not an advocate of allowing a tortoise to roam around the house. There are too many things for him to get into trouble with (hair, small bits of "stuff", cat food, etc) and besides that, its too cold on the floor. Its a good idea to have someplace in the habitat that is a little humid, whether its the underlayment of the substrate, or inside his hide.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Chadam, Snappy looks like a little charmer. :) And I totally agree with Yvonne about allowing him/her on the floor (lots of dangers down not to mention feet and yes, cold !). I do like your enclosure. I must caution (FYI) that Russians are often escape artists that love to climb. If he can possibly reach the top of the enclosure he will more than likely go exploring.
Congratulation on Santa leaving Snappy in your hands and welcome to the forum.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have one question how far from the tortoise is the flourescent light and what kind is it ? Oh by the way i like your table very much ! It looks very well crafted and i like how it fits in the corner !

Chadam

5 Year Member
The light is about 2-21/2' above and it is an 18" reptile desert 7 UVB bulb. I was wondering if he would eventually try to get out, he has not yet or even tried to.

Chadam

5 Year Member
The people at petco gave us some cedar chips or something like that but we switched to aspen bedding and sand mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.