New Russian tortoise papa!

Dfroni

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
Hello everyone! My name is Dave and I live in Cleveland Ohio. I just bought a Russian tortoise from my local petsmart and am glad to get him/her out of there! His/her name is speedy max(7 year old named him) and he/she seems to be eating good and is active but loves to burrow and nap a lot. Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to the community that helped me make my decision on getting my Russian tort!!!! Thank you all!4E06EC5E-397B-432B-B428-6FE56C560A81.jpeg

Dfroni

Cleveland, Ohio
That is awesome, I do not think I ever looked up a Redfoot before. Two of my coworkers have sulcatas that is one of the reasons I got a Russian since I live in a apt. But after the holidays I plan on building a 3 foot by 4 foot tort table!!!

Dfroni

Cleveland, Ohio
Lol I love my tort. Finally ate collard greens from my hand today. I have had him almost a week now trying a mix of wood chips and eco earth as my substrate right now.

Kimberly Shumaker

Pennsylvania
Lol I love my tort. Finally ate collard greens from my hand today. I have had him almost a week now trying a mix of wood chips and eco earth as my substrate right now.

I’m sure you’ve been reading a lot on here already, I know I was. There’s so much useful information. It’s almost like a tortoise Bible! lol I’ve seen a lot of differing opinions on substrates. It seems like the different species like different substrates to a degree. The only thing I kept seeing repeated was to make sure that whatever you’re using is safe for consumption in case they eat some with their food. I guess some things can cause them to become compacted. I’m sure you’ll get along just fine! I’m using the coconut substrate right now. He seems to like it. He loves burrowing into it.

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
I am new as well and just got a baby red foot because it was recommended as a good beginner and my daughter is 15 and is hers but we all love him so we help a lot. He is my profile picture. People here have been great so far. Welcome to the group.