New Russian Tortoise Parent/DIET & SUBSTRATE questions

Imeon

Location (City and/or State)
Rowland Heights
Hi all! I am new to the page because I have adopted this amazing Russian Tortoise "Lucy" from a friend who is moving. I have cared for this tortoise when they are out of town for the past 20 or so years so I am very used to it's usual care routine. We've become pals too over the years and I want to give her the best life possible with me. They are giving me a new glass 20201129_160621.jpgenclosure but I thought about changing it or blacking out the bottom half. I can't have her outdoors overnight due to predators. That being said, before she actually gets to my place, I have a couple of questions that I can't find through Google searches. I am hoping that this community can help me out. TIA Im sure I'll have more questions as time goes on. Lol

1. She is on a diet that mainly consists of romaine lettuce and occasionally mixed frozen veg. I want to add to her diet but will it adversely affect her if i change it up? Should I just introduce new foods little by little?
2. Do you recommend that I keep the topsoil substrate or change it?

Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

• 20201129_160115.jpg
    20201129_160115.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201129_160318.jpg
    20201129_160318.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201129_160349.jpg
    20201129_160349.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201129_160342.jpg
    20201129_160342.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hello! And greetings.
Thank you for taking in that beautiful tortoise :)
I will say, that cage is extremely small. It needs a lot of space. I would recommend getting a raised garden table or building your own out of wood. Glass is not the best for tortoises most get stressed out because they are trying to get outside the glass.

Russians need a wide variety of leafy greens, weeds, flowers as part of their staple.

The DONT’S
Fruit
Frozen veggies
Small enclosures for fish… lizards
Red bulbs
Coil bulbs

The DO’S
Coco coir substrate
Repti soil
Orchard bark
Temps between 90-98 for russians
Low to medium humidity levels. 40-55
Variety diet.
Basking bulb AND uva for shell health
They need a lot of places to hide… a plant pot with substrate inside dug down into the substrate is a good hide…
Hide boxes
Fake plants
Fresh water
Fresh food daily
Plant saucers for food/water

Imeon

Rowland Heights
Hi. Thanks for all that lovely info. I have been doing some research as soon as they asked me if I could take her in. However, I couldn't really find a resource that talked about adding to an established diet. How soon do you think before I should start introducing new foods?
Trust me when I say that she will only stay in whatever enclosure they give me until I can either build or buy a more appropriate one. I have honestly hated that she has been in that for so long. She constantly tries to climb the glass. Also there is not enough substrate, that I know.