New Russian tortoise seems fine but has not eaten

Kale

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
So I got this tortoise almost 20 days ago and he seems to be doing ok. He walks around, examines his habitat, yawns, and sleeps (a lot), and has pooped twice now during soakings.

But I have not seen him eat since I got him.

I've tried lots of things, including pellets from the store (the exact same kind they gave him there), grapes, kale, mango, turnip greens, dandelions, lettuce, hay, and strawberries. He hasn't touched any of it except to walk over it. He has LOOKED at it for a long time and in the past ~5 days has developed an odd habit of walking from one end of the food bowl to the other and then back again, but I don't think he's eating it. Unless he's being very sneaky. He always just ends up going back to a corner of the tank and burrowing in it.

How much of a problem is this? He generally seems healthy, although the vet did find worms and provide treatment along with vitamin A and D. He has two bulbs for heat and one for light, the temperature of the aquarium is 90 - ~78 (and I am told it was 78 at the pet store). I forget the humidity but I think it was around 60. No word on whether he's wild or bred, but the store was Petco if that helps.

I'm told Russian Tortoises can take a while to adjust but 20 days is quite a while. He's not getting skinny (I think), judging by his head and flesh. Still, I'm getting concerned. I thought Russian Tortoises would be relatively easy to take care of.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
this time of year they slow down and get ready to 'hibernate'. if you don't keep them warm with at least 13 hours of light a day, they will go to sleep.

Kale

10 Year Member!
Boston, MA
@Laura: is there something you'd recommend? I'm told by some people that a RT shouldn't hibernate in captivity because I will just wake it up occasionally (just by moving around etc), which is bad for it. Maybe I should turn up the heat? Still, I leave the lamps on for 16 hours a day and the aquarium during this time is 78 degrees minimum. At least, it's quite warm in the room when I come home.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Maybe try putting the food under the heat source and turning it up? Mine eat just to the right of their basking spot. One comes as soon as I put the food down, the other I have to go get and place about a foot from the food. If I place him near the food, he will run over it without seeing it. Still, they should have higher temps during the day than 78.

Kale

10 Year Member!
Boston, MA
Ok, well, we are on day 30 or something. 35? Anyway, the tortoise seems to finally be eating. At least, there are fewer spinach leaves when I wake up than when I went to bed. Good enough proof for me.

There is also some white hard stuff in the tank. Is that poop? I am gonna be so happy if that's poop.

And lastly, assuming this is all good news and he's getting better, what would you guys recommend for an upgraded habitat? Now that I know he's acclimating at least somewhat, I feel like I can invest a bit more in here. I've heard that aquariums are a poor idea, even ones of the 40 gallon size. Anything cheap I can replace it with? I know there are $300 habitats but that is just way too much.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You could use a large plastic tub; some are called Christmas Tree storage tubs. These are about 5' long and should be well under $100.

If you can use a drill, you can build a tort table. Use plywood for the deck, line it or seal it to protect from moisture. Then use 1" x 12" shelf board for the sides and ends. Put sealer on the sides also. Run a vertical post up each end; then attach a horizontal 1" x 2" or a little larger to mount your lights. Most hardware stores will cut the lumber for you for a small charge. Then use the drill with outdoor deck screws to assemble the sides. Add a 1" x 2" strip in the corners for stability. (Every where you have wood joining add the strips. Seal the strips with urethane before assembly; or seal the entire thing after assembly)

Size should be as large as you have space. 4' x 8' or 2 1/2' x 8' and add a upper level with a ramp.

Use top soil and coco coir as a possible substrate; make some deep spots for him to dig.

The white hard stuff is most likely urates. If it's gritty and hard when it first comes out your tort is likely dehydrated. Soaking would be advised daily in luke warm water for 20 minutes; keeping the water warm.

Spinach should only be fed rarely. Try turnip greens, radicchio, dandelions, rose petals, grape leaves, etc instead. Variety is the key.

Good luck. Make sure you have a basking spot that gets 95 to 100 degrees. The other end should be closer to 75 degrees.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Also its a good idea to weigh him, and record each weigh in down on a piece of paper, as I find it hard to judge my Russians weight, it's easier to keep an eye on him that way!

Kale

10 Year Member!
Boston, MA
Thank you, I'll try the plastic tub idea. I CAN use a drill but am not sure where I would obtain one.

I am soaking him, but only once every two days. Need to fix that.

As for spinach, it's just the thing that did it. I've also tried all the stuff listed above. Kale, grapes, turnip greens, pellets, hay, grass, dandelion. He somehow took to spinach.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
You might try romaine lettuce most russian torts love it. They shouldn't have it all the time but you can use it to get them to eat, and then start mixing other greens with it.