new Russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naminne

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, just picked up a Russian tortoise from Petco. Her name was Tortie and she was surrendered to the store. Apparently her owners didn't have any lights on her but shes "only 1", I think she looks a bit older. Well when they sold her to me, they said all of the lights she would need are included. I have the one that looks like a UVB (twisty bright light with a hint of blue) and a heat lamp with no light, just heat. So I probably need to pick up a UVA light. Anyway, she hadn't been eating for the first few days but after giving her a bath today, she ate! I was so relieved. Not at lot, but several pieces of lettuce.

Sometimes she makes noises with her mouth, I'm assuming its just being a little nervous about being in a new place. She's shy.

I just posted in "enclosure" section of the forum, but my post isn't showing up. Hoping it's just taking a minute to show.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    653.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    662.2 KB · Views: 37

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Namine:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Please read about the compact fluorescent bulbs here on the forum before you use it with your tortoise. They have been known to cause eye irritation and sometimes blindness in small tortoises.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D Your little tortoise is a cutie....also, looks like she could use a beak trimming....:D Once you have the beak under control then feeding her on a piece of slate or concrete flat will help to maintain her beak in the future...she sounds lucky to have been taken in by you, good job :D

katidid

5 Year Member
HI...Tortie is lucky to have you. you mentioned that you are feeding lettuce
just wanted to say not to use head lettuce as there is no nutritional value. Enjoy your new additional to the family.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. She's probably closer to 5 years. She looks good though.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
emysemys said:
Hi Namine:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Please read about the compact fluorescent bulbs here on the forum before you use it with your tortoise. They have been known to cause eye irritation and sometimes blindness in small tortoises.

You might see if you can return the lights the pet store gave you and just get one, a Powersun 100W MVB. this will provide heat and UVA/B and depending on the size of your table, give her all she needs. If your house does not get below 60 at night, you may not need night heat.
She is cute!
Go to http://www.russiantortoise.org/ for good information about what to feed, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.