New, sans tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bansley

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma City, OK
Hello, wonderful community! I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and finally felt that I wanted to belong so I made an account.

I'm 24 living in Oklahoma City, OK (US). My boyfriend and I have dreamed of having two Sulcata tortoises for about two years now, and finally got the "go-ahead" from our landlord. Hooray! Even so, we won't have the new additions to our family for a couple of months as we prep our home and our lives for our buddies.

We live in an apartment, and we understand the requirements such a large tortoise requires - let alone two! We plan on getting hatchlings, so we know we can get away with an indoor enclosure for a little while but we are not blind to the fact that eventually a house with a secure and "customized" yard will be a necessity. We are committed to providing this in the future.

So for now, I have no cute photos to add but I wanted to introduce myself and take in any advice you all may offer! I have been drinking in so many posts on enclosures and substrate and lighting.. Whew! But I can't wait for our little (for a while) family to form.

Thanks all!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :). Be prepared also to,house them separately. Not always, but more times then not, they will need to live in an enclosure of their own. They can bully and fight and one will not do as well as the bully or even get sick or die. Just e prepared. Also,lease read Toms threads below in my post for proper raising of a healthy, smooth sulcata.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Barbara is correct with regards to a pair....a single solo tort is a happy tort....pairs are a rare place for harmony to live....

Oh yeah....Welcome to the Forum :D

bansley

5 Year Member
Oklahoma City, OK
I had been getting that impression from reading on here but was in denial. We wanted two so they'd be best buds and never lonely - but if having two will be the opposite of that, it's not worth it.

We may very well only get one.. But then we are going to have to agree on a name! :p Thanks for the responses!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello and welcome! :)

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

oknursedana

5 Year Member
Where are you going to be getting the little darlings? I'm in the OKC metro and got mine at a certain unnamed reptile store in the city and just a heads up they are still doing hot and dry. My baby has some pyramiding from not only them but myself from following their and a couple of books advice. I'm raising it hot and humid now and his new growth is smooth. I went back there after having been on here knowing what I know now and noticed that ALL their tortoises had varying degrees of pyramiding. Good luck and welcome!

bansley

5 Year Member
Oklahoma City, OK
Thank you!

Dana, I am planning on ordering from an online source. I plan on researching it before I do, but as of right now I don't know which site.

Thank you for the heads up! I used to work in a pet store and am unfortunately all too familiar with the misinformation they preach and the poor care they offer. My first example of that was selling quarter size RES turtles, only realizing after getting my own that a 10 gallon tank with the default hood light would NOT be adequate! Ugh! Thankfully my little guy got to be a healthy 10" long before I sent him off to a turtle sanctuary with room to grow.

Did this reptile store happen to rhyme with "Malligater Malley"?

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Also be prepared for no matter what the name, the sex will turn out to be the opposite of the name.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Beatrice!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can check here for folks who have babies...some may even be trying to place/adopt out a tort....or a vendor who is also a member here...

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Tom has baby Sulcata's available. Good price, too.
I nearly bought one, but I'm holding out until next spring's batch. I still need time and money to set up a closed habitat appropriate for hatchling. Tom is incredible, and I definitely want one from him.
But he's not the only ethical breeder on this forum. I just like him, his dedication, his posts, etc.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

bansley

5 Year Member
Oklahoma City, OK
I absolutely would not be opposed to getting one from a member/breeder here on the forum! I just discovered the marketplace. I too will probably wait until next spring just to be sure we're ready and to avoid shipping in the cold months.

Thanks for the recommendations!

If I were to set up my enclosure for, say, a week before getting the little guy in order to monitor and adjust the correct heating and humidity specs would anything negative come of that? I can't see what possibly could but y'all are the experts not me!

Status
Not open for further replies.