New Shell Baby!

Weirdness2929

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hello everyone!

I just got my first ever tortoise today, and I'm stupid amounts of excited. He's just freaking adorable. He's a Russian Tortoise, and just a baby. I named him Wrex (after a character from the Mass Effect video games). I tried ordering him so he'd arrive tomorrow, when I actually have the day off, but I must have calculated timezones wrong and he arrived today. Luckily, my husband is home during the day and got Wrex all situated. I was sure suffering at work waiting to get home and meet the little guy though!

Fresh Outta The Box.JPG
(Fresh out of the box)

We live in Wisconsin, so he's going to be an indoor pet. I am hoping to get an outdoor area situated for him to use when the temperature is high enough next summer though. Here's a link to the indoor enclosure I got for him on Amazon. We plan on building a bigger enclosure as he grows, but I thought this was pretty cool for now, and especially liked the hard plastic bottom. The wire on top is also appreciated to keep him safe from our pesky cat.

I gave him a soak in warm water once I got home (the hubs was too nervous to), which he thoroughly didn't appreciate.

Day 1 Bath.jpg
(Obligatory baby bath photo--I think he's giving me the stink-eye.)

He attacked his salad right away this morning, eating all the spring mix and dandelion leaves. I'd included some collard greens and those are just kinda strewn everywhere now. Definitely not a favorite.

I also have a ZooMed Tortoise Block for him off to the side.

Day 1 Breakfast.JPG
(NOM nom nom, salad)

Anywho, that's my new baby. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to know about Wrex's new home!
--Weirdness

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Welcome and congrats... great looking tort!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Hello everyone!

I just got my first ever tortoise today, and I'm stupid amounts of excited. He's just freaking adorable. He's a Russian Tortoise, and just a baby. I named him Wrex (after a character from the Mass Effect video games). I tried ordering him so he'd arrive tomorrow, when I actually have the day off, but I must have calculated timezones wrong and he arrived today. Luckily, my husband is home during the day and got Wrex all situated. I was sure suffering at work waiting to get home and meet the little guy though!

View attachment 280839
(Fresh out of the box)

We live in Wisconsin, so he's going to be an indoor pet. I am hoping to get an outdoor area situated for him to use when the temperature is high enough next summer though. Here's a link to the indoor enclosure I got for him on Amazon. We plan on building a bigger enclosure as he grows, but I thought this was pretty cool for now, and especially liked the hard plastic bottom. The wire on top is also appreciated to keep him safe from our pesky cat.

I gave him a soak in warm water once I got home (the hubs was too nervous to), which he thoroughly didn't appreciate.

View attachment 280841
(Obligatory baby bath photo--I think he's giving me the stink-eye.)

He attacked his salad right away this morning, eating all the spring mix and dandelion leaves. I'd included some collard greens and those are just kinda strewn everywhere now. Definitely not a favorite.

I also have a ZooMed Tortoise Block for him off to the side.

View attachment 280840
(NOM nom nom, salad)

Anywho, that's my new baby. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to know about Wrex's new home!
--Weirdness
Adorable! Welcome and goodluck!

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Congrats on your new shell baby! Wrex is a cutie and it sounds like you are going to make a great home for him to thrive in!

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Welcome to the forum. You have a cute little one. If you haven't read the Russian care sheet do so. It is filled with great helpful advice. It has really helped me with getting my Russian started out right. So many wonderful people on this site and always willing to help.