New 'soon to be' owner!

Teddy28

Location (City and/or State)
Northern England. UK
Hi everyone
I ve been visiting tortoise forum during last few days and decided to sign up as a member as everyone is so helpful. So, here's my story........I'm due to take custody of my god sons Russian tortoise aged about 5 years. We have a few weeks to plan for his arrival, hence reading up about care, housing etc.
I've searched forum on this question and still not sure so grateful for any thoughts (apologies if I'm going about this in the wrong way....never joined a forum before ) At present, said tortoise is a little neglected due to busy lives and doesn't get much attention however he is still in a busy household and there's always noise and activity and comings and goings for him to observe and hear. When he comes to me, I m worried that the change of environment plus lack of noise and comings and goings will upset him. He'll get much more 'one to one' attention but when we're out he'll be pretty much on his own all day. Will this stress him out? Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise forum. :)
You get the set up right, as in the threads above and he'll be fine.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hello and welcome from Texas. I suspect that your Godson's tortie will be happier in calmer household. Just make sure there are couple nice dark places he can hide in his new home and give him nice long warm bath (lukewarm, not hot) every day until he starts eating, pooping and looking like he's settling in. I love it when people do their research before actually bringing a new pet home. Good for you. Enjoy your new adventure and best of luck with the transition.:)

Teddy28

Northern England. UK
Hello and welcome from Texas. I suspect that your Godson's tortie will be happier in calmer household. Just make sure there are couple nice dark places he can hide in his new home and give him nice long warm bath (lukewarm, not hot) every day until he starts eating, pooping and looking like he's settling in. I love it when people do their research before actually bringing a new pet home. Good for you. Enjoy your new adventure and best of luck with the transition.:)
Thank you Pearly, I had read about a warm bath to help them settle, wondering if it would be OK to bring him out of his enclosure (currently a vivarium which I,m planning to replace with a tortoise table) for his soak so I can use something a bit bigger such as a paint roller tray? Otherwise it'll be a bit restrictive for space. Grateful for your advice

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you Pearly, I had read about a warm bath to help them settle, wondering if it would be OK to bring him out of his enclosure (currently a vivarium which I,m planning to replace with a tortoise table) for his soak so I can use something a bit bigger such as a paint roller tray? Otherwise it'll be a bit restrictive for space. Grateful for your advice
Couple of soaks a week for 15 to 20 minutes would be good.
Paint roller trays are okay if he can't climb out, the bath is good in a plastic washing up bowl or anything with high, opaque sides so he can't see out.

Sarah mcardle

Newcastle upon tyne
Hi,I'm new to the forum,sorry if Iv invaded someone else's post,I'm not sure how to work this yet,my names sarah Iv recently bought 2 tortoises both horsfield one a Russian,small 1 (lunna)Russian is (Olly)they were both kept in a very hot viv (including a heat mat) I did get rid of that at once,they were housed together before I got them in the viv,they now have open top tortoise tables,I separated them as the small one (female) kept attacking the big one to the point Olly the Russian would tip lunna over on her back,it's took them a little while to adjust to open top tables ,I know the smaller one has something wrong with her scutes,Iv tried looking on other sites to see if theres others like her,there's a lot of information out there,to much to take in,they seem a lot happier now,at first they were terrified ,not been handled much and never been bathed only a small water bowl in viv,Iv had them around 6-8 weeks now! Do you think they have shell rot?since getting them they do look a lot more healthier and happier than before! I'm just a bit worried and seem to be spending my days (a lot)searching the net ,researching and such,the previous owner kept lights on 24 hours a day,they had wood chippings a substrate,Iv changed that to a mix of 70% topsoil 30% plays and,I have lights on around 12-14 hours a day,it took them a week or two to get used to there new homes,but do seem a lot happier from when first got them,thank you and sorry for jumping on someone else's thread IMG_2839.PNG

Teddy28

Northern England. UK
Hi Sarah, fine by me for you to jump in on this post, there is so much to learn about tortoise welfare but lots of helpful advice here. Oh and I have no idea how to use this forum but have had lots of replies so hopefully you'll get the same. Good luck

Sarah mcardle

Newcastle upon tyne
Hi Sarah, fine by me for you to jump in on this post, there is so much to learn about tortoise welfare but lots of helpful advice here. Oh and I have no idea how to use this forum but have had lots of replies so hopefully you'll get the same. Good luck
Hi,thank you, There is a lot to learn,I'm finding out new things everyday ,I'm quite addicted to researching tortoises

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi,I'm new to the forum,sorry if Iv invaded someone else's post,I'm not sure how to work this yet,my names sarah Iv recently bought 2 tortoises both horsfield one a Russian,small 1 (lunna)Russian is (Olly)they were both kept in a very hot viv (including a heat mat) I did get rid of that at once,they were housed together before I got them in the viv,they now have open top tortoise tables,I separated them as the small one (female) kept attacking the big one to the point Olly the Russian would tip lunna over on her back,it's took them a little while to adjust to open top tables ,I know the smaller one has something wrong with her scutes,Iv tried looking on other sites to see if theres others like her,there's a lot of information out there,to much to take in,they seem a lot happier now,at first they were terrified ,not been handled much and never been bathed only a small water bowl in viv,Iv had them around 6-8 weeks now! Do you think they have shell rot?since getting them they do look a lot more healthier and happier than before! I'm just a bit worried and seem to be spending my days (a lot)searching the net ,researching and such,the previous owner kept lights on 24 hours a day,they had wood chippings a substrate,Iv changed that to a mix of 70% topsoil 30% plays and,I have lights on around 12-14 hours a day,it took them a week or two to get used to there new homes,but do seem a lot happier from when first got them,thank you and sorry for jumping on someone else's thread View attachment 200973
Hello, Sarah, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you Iunna and Olly. :)
Have you read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/ ?
This is up to date information and will answer most of your questions but don't hesitate to ask if you have any more.
Indeed, they should be separated permanently, even what is happening in your photo si aggressive behaviour.
They will probably get more used to being handled in time.
Shell rot usually occurs on the underside, on the plastron, they look fine from the top .If you mean the bumpiness when you say there's something wrong with the scutes, this was caused by being kept in too dry conditions, but it doesn't look bad, Russians are often a bit bumpy, and will not get worse if they are raised correctly from now on.
Lights should be on 12 to 14 hours a day, and total darkness at night so they can sleep properly.
Substrate should be coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch, no sand, as it can cause impaction and no topsoil unless you know exactly what it is made from.
Good luck.