New Stack of Animal Plastics CLosed Chambers

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
AKA: Tom's baby emporium.

@GStars asked for a pic on my new baby raising enclosures the other day. I only had a partial, but I took a fuller one today.

Each cage is 96x30 and divided in the middle into two 48x30 cages for starting babies. The colored tape on each upper right corner shows the number of babies in each enclosure and also corresponds to the soaking tubs that rest on top of the cages. I've got stars on top, sulcatas in the middle and SA leopards on the bottom.
IMG_5281.JPG

IMG_5282.JPG

IMG_5285.JPG

IMG_5296.JPG

IMG_4821.JPG

Last edited:

jjaymeza

Fort Worth
AKA: Tom's baby emporium.

@GStars asked for a pic on my new baby raising enclosures the other day. I only had a partial, but I took a fuller one today.

Each cage is 96x30 and divided in the middle into two 48x30 cages for starting babies. The colored tape on each upper right corner shows the number of babies in each enclosure and also corresponds to the soaking tubs that rest on top of the cages. I've got stars on top, sulcatas in the middle and SA leopards on the bottom.
View attachment 236407

View attachment 236413

View attachment 236408

View attachment 236409

View attachment 236412

They look so happy how beautiful!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love those enclosures! I will soon be able to retire my plastic film covered baby tubs. The baby enclosure fairy is bringing me a nice closed chamber next time he visits

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love those enclosures! I will soon be able to retire my plastic film covered baby tubs. The baby enclosure fairy is bringing me a nice closed chamber next time he visits
I think I've met that baby enclosure fairy a time or two… :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Tom Really like how these came out.

Did you use their standard 2 - 20" fluorescent fixture addition? Is that a double fixture?
Did they add the incandescent fixture? I think you are running a standard 35 watt bulb?
I don't see a CHE or heat source? Did they add two incadescent fixt to ea. side?
Do you notice much heat transfer to the top cages from the cage below? Do the upper cages run warmer, especially when the lights are on?

After using them a while, is there anything you would change?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom Really like how these came out.

Did you use their standard 2 - 20" fluorescent fixture addition? Is that a double fixture?
Did they add the incandescent fixture? I think you are running a standard 35 watt bulb?
I don't see a CHE or heat source? Did they add two incadescent fixt to ea. side?
Do you notice much heat transfer to the top cages from the cage below? Do the upper cages run warmer, especially when the lights are on?

After using them a while, is there anything you would change?

I had them install an incandescent fixture on each side of each enclosure. They cut channels for the wires on the top of the cage and everything sits flush without having the wires inside. Its a really neat feature they offer. There are many little details like this that show the true attention to detail and quality that this company offers. Every element of the design is well thought out and well executed.

I went with LEDs instead of florescent bulbs. Florescent bulbs would probably over heat the whole thing. These cages have very good insulation properties. Its already 80 in the reptile room and these cages get into the 90s with just the little incandescent bulbs.

I tried my usual 65 watt floods and they were way too hot. Went down to 45 floods and still made a basking spot of 122. Tried a 39 watt, but it was a spot and it made the basking area 140. Ended up using a regular round bulb that is 43 watts, but says it makes the light equivalent of 60 watts. We had a warm spell last week with daily highs in the low to mid 90s outside and the reptile room got pretty warm. I decided to install thermostats on the basking bulbs. Now the basking bulbs cut off if ambient gets over 95-96, but the LEDs stay on their timer.

No need for a CHE or RHP to maintain ambient since the whole room is kept at 80 or higher 24/7/365.

No need for UV since all my babies get real sunshine 3-4 times a week minimum.

The upper cages are warmer, but I think it is due more to the temp gradient of the room than heat transfer from below. The bottom of one cage plus the top of the one under it creates a 1" PVC insulation barrier between cages. I'll do an experiment with three thermometers of the same type at three levels in the room and see what we get. This is how I decided which species would go where. Stars on top since they like it so hot, sulcatas in the middle, and SA leopards on bottom. In reality, all of them run about the same temp with the same basking lamp set up in each.

Regardless of how any of this explanation sounds, the proof is in the pudding. The babies are thriving in there. Appetites are huge, growth rate is good, and the leopards, who have been in there the longest are the smoothest leopards I've ever grown. Sulcatas have only been in for a few days and stars went in last week, but I expect the same results from them.

The only thing I would change is adding more of these cages. I've got three more ordered already!

Last edited:

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I’m convinced @Tom, I’m definitely getting a few of these. Does the middle divider come out if you wanted to or is it permanent?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m convinced @Tom, I’m definitely getting a few of these. Does the middle divider come out if you wanted to or is it permanent?
The middle divider is something I added with some coroplast and some button head self-tappers. On the big cages, all of them come with the center arch way for support, but the floor is open all the way through.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom Is that one unit or is that three units stacked up?
That is three of their T65 cages stacked up. They have little metal pins that you can use to keep them perfectly aligned like that.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I really like them cages. How long do you think a baby leopard would be ok in the 96x30?

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Ask what options did you get. Interested in knowing how you did your heat/lights

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Sorry I somehow missed your explanation further up. What would you recommend if just getting a single cage? I would like the LED lights and fluorescents but not sure what to do about heat.

Also do you thinks you could get 3 years of use out of a 96x36x24?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry I somehow missed your explanation further up. What would you recommend if just getting a single cage? I would like the LED lights and fluorescents but not sure what to do about heat.

Also do you thinks you could get 3 years of use out of a 96x36x24?
Growth rates will vary based on many factors, so its impossible to predict how long it will last an individual baby. I'd estimate 2-4 years in most cases.

Best way to heat one of these in a normal house would be a couple of RHPs set on a thermostat to maintain ambient, and a basking bulb to heat up the enclosure during the day. I added the LEDs myself. Bought some under cabinet countertop lighting unit for less than $20 each at Lowes.