New sub adult Redfoot, how much protein

Dėad Lee

I've had my redfoot a few weeks now and he's starting to eat greans and a lil fruit ok, i don't think he's eating enough, but i could be wrong . Anyway I decided to try a little bit of protein because I read redfoots should eat protein, it's boiled lean roast I give to my savannahs sometimes. Anyway he ate it with more gusto then he has eaten anything so far, he really loved it. I only gave him a little, cuz I'm not sure if he just really liked it or if he is lacking protein (I don't know his history) So, should I try to give him a hard boiled egg or something tomorrow with protein in it or should I wait a while? AND please don't suggest pinkies, i have them for my savannahs, but for some reason a tort eating a dead pinky rat takes away a part of that cute vegetarian look lol

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
I feed my redfoot protein once a week, mostly cat food, shrimp or egg. Mine also loves this, I don't think it means she has too little protein in her diet, just that she likes the taste.
We do not really know how much protein they eat in the wild and how often, but it could be more then we think depending on the season because they are scavengers and eat what they find.
Good luck with your tort, do you have any pics?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I feed protein about once a week. maybe every two weeks, but I think that they are also eating worms and bugs from the yard.
I use Mazuri, dog food and whole, boiled and smashed eggs. Pulverized with the shell still on.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
I feed grain free cat food once a week. They also like butter worms.