New substrate and my tortoise won’t bury herself anymore

lcoakley96

Location (City and/or State)
Ayer massachusetts
My Hermanns tort usually loves to dig herself into her substrate , and I changed it because I learned what’s best for her ( I am a fairly new tort mama) and now it’s organic topsoil with some cypress mulch mix , more soil than mulch , I just changed it yesterday but my tort won’t dig herself in it anymore she’s jsut wondering around or staying in one place above the substrate , I know it’s soon to be worried but has anyone dealt with that before ? Usually when I’d clean it before it take her a hour or two to get used to it.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Just cypress without the walnut shell is good. Maybe try the new stuff with cypress, Doesn't have to be a 100% change over, just mix some cypress in part of the enclosure and see what happens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Hermanns tort usually loves to dig herself into her substrate , and I changed it because I learned what’s best for her ( I am a fairly new tort mama) and now it’s organic topsoil with some cypress mulch mix , more soil than mulch , I just changed it yesterday but my tort won’t dig herself in it anymore she’s jsut wondering around or staying in one place above the substrate , I know it’s soon to be worried but has anyone dealt with that before ? Usually when I’d clean it before it take her a hour or two to get used to it.
Bought in a bag soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. It is made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what it is made of. Could be something toxic. The makers don't intend for animals to live on it in indoor enclosures.

The best substrate for baby hermanni is coco coir. The best substrate for an adult would be fine grade orchid bark.