New Sulcata came sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckromulus

5 Year Member
Background: I live in south florida (Wellington). I am a member of the Florida Wildlife and Game Commission Herp Rescue (As a qualified adopter). I have been waiting a couple of months for a Sulcata in need from the commission and decided to purchase one in the meantime. I have two outdoor enclosures and two indoor enclosures. I now have one sulcata that I just received on Wednesday.

The Tort: She is 6.5 inches, approx 2 years old weight unknown at this time. Moderate pyramiding.

The Problem: She came to me with what clearly is an upper respiratory infection. Her right nostril has a clear discharge (although slight) and an occasional bubble as she breaths. She has a bit of a wheeze but not every breath she takes. She is not eating. I realize that sometimes when they have a stressful shipment that it takes them a few days to eat. I've offered timothy hay with hibiscus flower, aloe plant, leaf of the strawberry plant, hibiscus plant, mazuri, and as a last resort, a single slice of cucumber with the seeds removed. She took the cucumber slice last night so this morning I look all of those ingredients diced them finely, and put them on a red Tupperware top hoping the red would peak her interest and she would eat. She sniffs but does not bite, turns herself and plops down. She has been very sluggish, as I would be if I had a URI. Heres the kicker...Whatever plastic stringy substrate they had kept her on where I bought her (I will not name names as I'm sure you all would know the site), was blocking her anus and she walked around for about 6 hours trying to poop. Even a long warm soak didn't do it so I gently extracted the blockage which turned out to be longer than the tortoise itself. She hasn't pooped since.

I contacted the site to let them know what dire shape the tortoise had arrived to me in and they told me that they were going to HAVE me send her back. Which is ridiculous bc this tortoise would not make it back.

I have my vet making a house call on Tuesday to assess the situation. Is there anything that I can do in the meantime to help alleviate the problem. It is 80-85 each day here so I put her outside in a raised enclosure on cypress mulch instead of in the edible landscaping enclosure (the bedding is much more moist in that enclosure). I bring her in around sunset or when the temp drops below 73 whichever comes first and put her in the enclosure (4'x4') inside my house. The house stays between 76-78 at night. She goes out again in the morning when the temps get to about 70. Anything you all can think of that would help this distressed tortoise would be greatly appreciated.

**The night time temps are in the mid 60's here. Normally, I'd leave her outside she has a deckbox in the enclosure but I am afraid 60's are too cool for a tort with a URI.

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bradenton, Florida
this is just my 2 cents and I'm sure much more knowledgable people will weigh in, but I would suggest getting your temps up all around. 85 is good but 90 is better and some sort of basking spot would help. night time should still be over 80 with limited moisture. I would assume getting dry warmer air will help as things move forward with the URI. hopefully everything works out for you. good luck with him.

ckromulus

5 Year Member
DanieltheAnvil said:
this is just my 2 cents and I'm sure much more knowledgable people will weigh in, but I would suggest getting your temps up all around. 85 is good but 90 is better and some sort of basking spot would help. night time should still be over 80 with limited moisture. I would assume getting dry warmer air will help as things move forward with the URI. hopefully everything works out for you. good luck with him.

Thanks bud. I agree 90 would be better, I gotta get down to my other place in boca to pick up my lamps. I wasn't expecting to receive a sick tort and its warm out still so I didn't get them immediately. With a healthy tort, I usually trade the real high temps for the outdoors as I (and this is IMHO) believe that its better at 80-90 and be outside with sunlight and shade than an artificial 95 (WITH A HEALTHY TORT). Although, the last deck box I had for the outside had a heat lamp run through the top, so perhaps I will do that as well once she is healthy enough to keep outside for when things are a little cooler. In the meantime I will raise the temps on her at night.

***Update she did just take a dump and my wife thought it was the dog. Immediately following she did take a single bite of food and is stomping around*** Her nose is still running obviously.

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bradenton, Florida
outside is always better I agree. I'm in the tampa area and this week though has been colder and humid. I'd still throw some type of warming element out there with them. especially as we get colder. next week its dropping to the 70's as a high. that was my point about the heat. but good luck man I'm sure with your experience with other stuff it will help you figure a lot of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.