New Sulcata Enclosure

david_himself

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles County
Okay guys just picked up my sulcata and was given all the previous owners supplies/tank. I know I'm missing things and this is how I currently have it set up. Substrate is coconut fiber. He seems to only eat lettuce and doesn't care for the lawn grass. I do have calcium to sprinkle on his food. And a "Flukers 120V 75 bulb that I'm not sure what is for.
I'm gonna make a trip to make it more comfortable for my young one.
Any advice?

Attachments

• 1415035393565.jpg
    1415035393565.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 47
  • 1415035409579.jpg
    1415035409579.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 46

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The really small ones usually don't get interested in grass unless you cut it up really small and incorporate it into other greens.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The lettuce has got to go :D Try slowly decreasing it while mixing it in with other greens like dandelion and clover! Grass is yummy (but it takes bit for babies to get interested!) and he might like it if you mix that in too.
I would try and get a UVB bulb asap! I he didn't come with one, he might have been living without it for a while :(

Alaskamike

South Florida
Since he is small. You might try organic Spring Mix. Certainly has the darker greens and variety. I found my little ones would always chow on that. I got some Herbal Hay from Tortoise Supply and sprinkled a pinch on the spring mix then sprayed it to moisten slightly. They started eating the herbal mix with the Spring mix. Sometimes you have to transition them.
Head lettuce has very little nutrients. This is why it's not recommended.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises eat what they are used to eating. Sadly, most breeders start them with something easy (Easy for the breeder, I mean...) like romaine or spring mix. It is up to the new owner in these cases to spend months getting the tortoise to learn to recognize all the good stuff as food, and eat it. You will need to finely chop up a very small amount of any new stuff, and mix it thoroughly with the old favorite stuff. Gradually up the ratio of new to old over a period of weeks. Don't be afraid to let a picky tortoise get hungry. If you have a big plate of good food in front of him, its his choice to go hungry. Sometimes they will learn to hold out for a day or two until you give them what they want. I can tell you firsthand, a hungry tortoise is not a picky tortoise...

I think you have the care sheet linked in your other thread, but just in case, here it is again. It will tell you what to do with all the equipment and how to set it all up.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

And forgive me if you've already seen this one too, but its all about what to feed them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

david_himself

Los Angeles County
Tortoises eat what they are used to eating. Sadly, most breeders start them with something easy (Easy for the breeder, I mean...) like romaine or spring mix. It is up to the new owner in these cases to spend months getting the tortoise to learn to recognize all the good stuff as food, and eat it. You will need to finely chop up a very small amount of any new stuff, and mix it thoroughly with the old favorite stuff. Gradually up the ratio of new to old over a period of weeks. Don't be afraid to let a picky tortoise get hungry. If you have a big plate of good food in front of him, its his choice to go hungry. Sometimes they will learn to hold out for a day or two until you give them what they want. I can tell you firsthand, a hungry tortoise is not a picky tortoise...

I think you have the care sheet linked in your other thread, but just in case, here it is again. It will tell you what to do with all the equipment and how to set it all up.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

And forgive me if you've already seen this one too, but its all about what to feed them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

of course she's starting to munch on others other than just ignoring it all so I think it'll go smoothly