New Sulcata enclosure...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I have a large tortoise shed that is divided in half for my 2 male Sulcata. When it's time for them to go outside, I open a doggie door for Big Sam, but I have to carry Knobby over 2 cinder block walls to put him in his pen...it's never been a problem...however, he is a GROWING Sulcata and now has gotten so heavy I can barely hold him...so a friend is going to cut a doggie door on Knobby's side of the shed and he will have a pen that's goes all along the width of my yard...but it's full of blackberries and other stuff...I've been working on the berries but they are so tuff that the first part I cut down is growing back while I am still cutting the rest...anyhow...I am going to show how you can make a tortoise pen without any supplies, talent or strength...here's a picture of the shed with the pens visible...Knobby's new pen will be on the other side of that small cedar fence...
035.JPG037.JPG015.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like you have your work cut out for you!

Cmistretta1

Prairieville, LA
I just finished my outdoor habitat for Coconut...it's not huge but, he's still so small that to him, it's the whole world...he loves it....It will have to be enlarged as he grows....34D10036-DF1B-408D-861A-2072C1A01AB4.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I just finished my outdoor habitat for Coconut...it's not huge but, he's still so small that to him, it's the whole world...he loves it....It will have to be enlarged as he grows....View attachment 291346
That's really cute...nice job...I don't make anything quite that nice...here's my Sulcata pens as they are now...010.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Looking forward to seeing how things progress.
How do you heat that shed in the winter?

For ambient heat there is an oil filled radiator heater, 3 150 watt basking lights, a Kane mat in a sleeping box and 2 CHE's. All is turned off in the summer, and in winter it stays 85- 90 degrees during the day and 70 or so at night...everything is on timers, and there's a panic button to the house if the shed loses power....it's on it's own current

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I think it's going to be fine...just needs to be cleaned up and to make sure he can't escape...maybe throw in some flowers or plants he can nibble on to pretty it up a bit :)
I really appreciate your advice...but my Sulcata are kinda big and flowers or anything pretty would just get trampled into dust...I am doing this because they are too big to be in my usual pens...just upgrading and for me...all it needs is the blackberries out and grass and weeds in...that's the extent of my work...lol055.JPG

Cmistretta1

Prairieville, LA
I really appreciate your advice...but my Sulcata are kinda big and flowers or anything pretty would just get trampled into dust...I am doing this because they are too big to be in my usual pens...just upgrading and for me...all it needs is the blackberries out and grass and weeds in...that's the extent of my work...lolView attachment 291411
I really appreciate your advice...but my Sulcata are kinda big and flowers or anything pretty would just get trampled into dust...I am doing this because they are too big to be in my usual pens...just upgrading and for me...all it needs is the blackberries out and grass and weeds in...that's the extent of my work...lolView attachment 291411
Ahhhh, I see...you're probably right...I'm in for a rude awakening...lol..Still, it's going to be fine...as long as he can't escape, everything will be ok...I'm looking forward to my little guy getting so big!